VPN Bandwidth

Caswell

Veteran XX
We're getting VPN setup at the office, so I'm trying to learn this shit as I go :ftard:

Our connection choices are ADSL or Cable, and the cable provider just lowered it's upload speeds:

Cable - 7.5 Mbps download, 512 Kbps upload
ADSL - 6.0 Mbps download, 1.0 Mbps upload

I hate the ADSL company, we get nothing by shitty service from them. Ontop of that, the cable is a fair bit cheaper. However, I'm guessing the extra upload speed would help out VPN users.

Is the 512 Kbps enough? It's mainly accounting, word processing, etc done across the network (other than browsing). Is it worth extra money and dealing with bad customer service to get the extra upload?

i'm assuming the adsl is a business line? if it is, you should be getting damn good support from them (because you'll be paying 2x what nonbusiness dsl is).

dsl is also a guaranteed speed. cable is not guaranteed, during heavy usage times you won't get full speed.

DSL is currently an ancient consumer plan, being used for a business. I blame the technical problems mostly on that, but the service sucks.

I just found out today, I should have been talking to an account rep for the last 2 years...no one told us. WTF!?

Pretty much what dmaul said and the extra upload will make a huge difference.

It is still lower then what I like to see, but any extra upload you can get will help.

At that speed you might see lag time moving around in folders on the remote network. Word docs, spreadsheets, etc will open slower then if you were on the network but that is to be expected.

If the DSL servive is known for consistency in your area definately get it. You want good up time and speed.

Quick note. VPN has a lot of overhead so you won't be getting the full 1mpbs when downloading from your remote network. On top of that you share that bandwidth with other users so you can figure it out.

EDIT: Ew thats rough. Flip a coin. Honestly you guys will probably have a shitty experience either way. My business clients I try to get them in the 4 mbps or higher range for upload. Otherwise VPN can be dicey unless it is a T1. I just don't trust cable and dsl to provide consistent enough services at lower speeds.

Last edited:
False. Doesn't really matter because his options appear to be very very limited. At those speeds you need all the upload you can get even if it will only be one user. That question is something I ask my clients. But in Chicagoland I have plenty of more choices to offer my clients so I can help them get a plan more suited for their needs. With two choices get speed. Speed speed speed.

Unless the DSL solution is down every other day, then get cable. I say get the DSL first for the speed. If they prove to be inconsistent and provide shitty support then move to cable.

I agree with Doc, we always recommend dedicated business lines for vpns - also on a separate line from the business's connection.

edit: of course, what we recommend and what the businesses end up doing are two different things. i'm IT, how important could my opinion be?

The real question is how many users would you be expecting simultaneously?

It will be hardware limited to 5...but probably 2 max most of the time. 3 on rare occasions.

It's mostly being used for the owners to check in on the accounting stuff remotely. The only heavy user will be our office manager working from home.

I'll buck up for ADSL and see how it goes...

I agree with Doc, we always recommend dedicated business lines for vpns - also on a separate line from the business's connection.

edit: of course, what we recommend and what the businesses end up doing are two different things. i'm IT, how important could my opinion be?

:lol:

Exactly. I love it when they spend the money on me to "constult" and then ignore my advice.

what type of vpn's you doing? site-site or remote users?

I've setup both. Site to site I've done T1 through AT&T and used a couple of Sonicwalls. Also setup plenty of remote users. Had them use the sonicwall vpn client, cisco's, and OS(xp, vista).

EDIT: Doh I thought Caswell was asking that question. Ignore me.

It will be hardware limited to 5...but probably 2 max most of the time. 3 on rare occasions.

It's mostly being used for the owners to check in on the accounting stuff remotely. The only heavy user will be our office manager working from home.

I'll buck up for ADSL and see how it goes...

See how it goes. If they are consistent with their uptime and are providing you with the bandwidth they claim to be offering stick with them until a better solution becomes available. If they suck. Try cable and again jump on the next solution to come out that promises faster uploads. Upload speed and consistency of the connection will be everything to the users.

Last edited:
Damn...Cable is offering 15 Mbps/1 Mbps for an extra $15 a month (stuff cheaper than ADSL).

However...I won't be retarded, I'll actually listen to the IT guys that are smart. Hopefully ADSL works out well.

VPN's through non dedicated circuits are asking for trouble unless your ISP will give you a static ip, espc if you are doing remote user VPN's. For site-site VPN's most concentrators have something called "agressive mode" and as long as one side has a static ip you will be fine.

DSL is pretty much guaranteed to be at that speed for the near future. Most cable companies, however, are increasing speeds for free. For the same price as we've been paying since like 10 years ago, our cable speeds have gone from 1mb/128kb to 3mb/256kb and now 10mb/1mb. I imagine in another year or two we'll be bumped up to 20/2 for free.

I was under the impression that if you open up a business account with most cable/dsl providers you are getting a static ip.

I was under the impression that if you open up a business account with most cable/dsl providers you are getting a static ip.

some will and some crappy ilecs who dont give a fuck wont. 99% of the time you just have to ask and they either sell it or will give it to you.

some will and some crappy ilecs who dont give a fuck wont. 99% of the time you just have to ask and they either sell it or will give it to you.

Yup around here you have to ask for it. Otherwise you get a dynamic IP. They know businesses with email, vpn, etc will pay for the static.

Bastards! Apparently when they say "2 static IP addresses", they mean "2 long lease IP addresses". So it's a static IP that can change "every now and again". Do these people not understand what STATIC means?

I don't want to deal with angry owners every time the IP changes, even if it's twice a year. Their only REAL static IP option is a managed ADSL for $345.00 per month (unmanaged is $100.00 per month).

Holy shit what a ripoff. They are fucking you guys over due to lack of competition.

Example of local AT&T Business DSL.

5 Static IP's Up to 6.0 Mbps Up to 768 Kbps $70.00/mo 2-year term

There are other services and I think AT&T offers faster services then that normally, but that is what is shown on the site. Generic plans. I think one of my clients has something like 8 down and 2 up with them for around $160 a month.

Last edited:
Back