Vista to XP question

new_skul

Human Chia Pet++
Veteran XX
So I recently got a laptop with a 1.9ghz dual-core, 2gb ram, and nvidia 7150m on it. It has vista on it, and doesn't play games for anything. If I was to put XP on it, would that fix it? or is it more trouble than its worth, with finding drivers and all that.

probably. run the test for vista experience and see what it gives you, but overall it seems mediocre to run vista. youd gain way too much performance using xp on that laptop to not downgrade.

depends - what brand is it?
i'd check the availability of, for instance, video drivers (3rd party included if you're comfortable with that) and other important related software before moving back to XP

some companies, like hp, have both xp and vista software on their official website for those who want a choice

make sure you've got decent video drivers.

my girlfriend's laptop came with Vista on it, and the video drivers on it were absolutely useless. I'm fairly certain there was no hardware acceleration going on at all. Had to use the ATi desktop->mobile driver hack, and then everything was good

still ended up switching to XP though

You would see a performance boost; not sure how much though.

I have a laptop with 2.4Ghz core 2 duo, 3GB RAM, 8600M and upgrading to XP really improved my performance in games.

In my case, people had created XP driver packs so it was as easy as downloading the driver pack, slipstreaming the sata driver into XP with nLite and installing winXP. Takes a few hours but it was definitely worth it.

Back