virus that disables internet ?

SpongeBob

Veteran X
Co-worker brought his daughters computer in last night... can no longer access the internet (configuring netowrk adapter -or- looking for AOL via TCP/IP for long periods of time)... took over aol buddy list and input names like 'i am a slut named emily davison' with about 10 other 'xxx' names...

Properties shows that the driver is still installed and functioning - just can not access the net...

ideas?

It's a HP Pavilion 521n with onboard network (although the HP site offers no network drivers for this model -- ???)

probably screwed w/ registry keys. also some spyware has been known to do the internet thing... as for the buddylist i have no idea.

WinSockFix try this

downloaded AVG... 100 infected files / 94 removed / 6 moved to vault...

AVG notifies me that 'downloader.small.9.ai' is on the system when I launch XP (each time with a different file name in the system32 directory - ex: sita596bb0cgy.exe) but when I run AVG it does not find it... pops up that it is finding it every few minutes - each time with a different file name.

what is 'downloader.small.9.ai' ?

There was some hijacker prog that broke one of my friend's comp after we uninstalled it. Hijack This! can find a lot of sneaky things, I suggest you give it a shot.

Run Adaware SE and at least 2 antivirus programs in safemode. Wouldnt hurt to use spybod S&D also. Then check hyjackthis. Sounds like you had one of the aolim virus that are out. There is a program that removes the most common ones, google for it.

Back