Video Surveillance

Bohica

Veteran XV
Veteran XX
Anyone very knowledgeable and/or work in the security field? I'm comparing a couple proposals for the installation of a video surveillance system in several buildings, and I'm looking for a 3rd party opinion on them (regarding quality of equipment and price).

The environment is a combination of industrial / warehouse. The outdoor cameras that do not point toward buildings will have to deal with pretty low-light conditions, at range. The ones that point toward buildings will likely have a flood light or two in their field of view.

My biggest concern is the price difference for the DVRs (one is ~$2k, the other is $5k+). The tech specs appear similar... so why is one more than double the cost of the other? Is it the software?

Proposal 1:
Cameras:
Speco HT-INTD8 (Outdoor, 27 Total)
Speco HT-7246IHR (Indoor, 6 Total)
DVRs:
Speco DVR-16TN/300 (2 Total)
Speco DVR-16TN/600 (2 Total)

Price: ~$37k

Proposal 2:
Cameras:
American Dynamics ADCTDN2412N (Outdoor, 21 Total)
American Dynamics ADCDH2506TN (Outdoor, 6 Total)
American Dynamics ADCPWH2506TN (Indoor, 6 Total)
DVRs:
Intellex LT (8 input, 500GB) (2 Total)
Intellex LT (16 input, 500GB) (2 Total)

Price: ~$49k

Thanks.

edit:
DVR Specs:

Intellex LT: http://www.americandynamics.net/WebA...TEN_R07_LR.pdf

Speco DVR-16TN/*: http://207.56.187.246/cart/products/...series0508.pdf

I have seen demos for both systems. I like the Intellex software a little more, from what I've seen. Both seem capable, though.
The cameras are rated between .002 and .5 lux, depending on which proposal you are looking at. They are either vandalproof dome or bullets w/environmental housing. All are 540 TVL and above. None are PTZ which, as I understand it, are the really expensive cameras that can be several thousand dollars each.

Last edited:
I have a friend that owns a company that sells this kind of equipment.

I could do some checking for you.

the dvrs are just computers, you're getting ripped off on the input cards and software no matter what one you buy.

wow dude thats a massive system. Im not knowledgeable at all but I think the camera enclosures are important. is that included in the quote?

since you have a lot of outdoor cams, youll need good, anti-theft enclosures possibly with heaters or defrosters depending on the climate. some people go around stealing cams.

a good camera that goes down to like .2lux is gonna be like $6k. something with a lot of light can be quite cheap. good luck

The cameras are rated between .002 and .5 lux, depending on which proposal you are looking at. They are either vandalproof dome or bullets w/environmental housing. All are 540 TVL and above. None are PTZ which, as I understand it, are the really expensive cameras that can be several thousand dollars each.

Back