Verizon to open its wireless networks to any (compatible) device

Xaphan

Contributor
Veteran XV
Verizon Opens Up Network to Outside Devices - New York Times

Verizon Wireless will open its network to outside mobile handsets, devices and applications by the end of 2008, the company announced Tuesday.

The company will publish technical standards for the development community by early next year, the company said in a news release. Any device that meets the minimum technical standard will be activated on the Verizon Wireless network, the company said. Customers will be able to run any application they choose on approved devices.

Pretty sweet to be able to run any OS on your phone "as long as it pasts standards"

It was my understanding that it was already illegal for them to lock out compatible phones in an attempt to maintain a monopoly.

I think they're just trying to put a shiny spin on them getting their butts kicked by the FCC.

I don't think any of the other carriers already do this, do they?

GSM Carrier's have allowed this forever. As long as your phone runs on the frequency that carrier is using it doesnt matter. I have used phones i bought from Europe to use on T-Mobile here. Just simply pop in your SIM card and you are ready to go

Back