US Senate blocks Obama gun background checks rule, really??

s0dak1ng

Veteran XX
US Senate blocks Obama gun background checks rule

An Obama-era regulation that tightened gun checks on mentally-ill buyers has been blocked by the US Senate and could be signed into law by the White House.
The law stopped people who receive disability benefits from buying guns, affecting an estimated 75,000 people.
But Republicans, who control the Senate, argued it stigmatised the disabled and voted it down 57 to 43.
President Donald Trump is set to approve revoking the rule, his first action on guns since taking power.
It passed the House of Representatives last week.
After the Sandy Hook shooting tragedy which killed 20 children and six adults in 2012, President Barack Obama introduced a measure that required the Social Security Administration to report information on people with mental illness to the FBI.
In an interview with the BBC, Mr Obama said his inability to pass "meaningful" gun legislation was his biggest frustration.
But critics say the rule was too broad and unfairly stigmatized the disabled. With a Republican ally in the White House, the GOP has moved aggressively to rescind several late Obama administration regulations.

i dont understand this country anymore

What's not to understand? The 'rule' singled out too many 'disabled' people because it was so broad. The ACLU was even against this 'rule' due to lack of due process.

i dont understand why u would want a mentally ill person to own a gun

I don't. But this rule singled out people based on the fact that they were 'disabled' and required someone to handle their finances. There was no proof that they were violent or that they would harm someone....

Good article from a Duke Professor:

Why Obamas gun policy for mentally ill is flawed - Chicago Tribune

"But despite its good intentions, what the policy actually does is take away the gun rights of a large category of individuals without any evidence that they pose a risk of harm to self or others, and without legal due process protections commensurate with abridging a constitutional right."

Because not everyone who suffers from mental illness is a danger to themselves or others. Because not every state uses the same criteria for diagnosis or reporting said diagnosis. Because people have a right to medical privacy without infringing on their rights. Because not all mental illness is permanent. It is legislation that is simultaneously too broad and too narrow.

And not everyone on disability is mentally disabled.

You do realize that you could get in a car accident, lose your arm or leg or something, and end up on disability right?

And then you could never buy a gun again, not because you did anything wrong, but because you collected disability.

So fuck you if you're on disability right? You must be a crazy person.

I'm all for keeping guns out of crazy peoples hands, and steps to do so are important, but doing so in a way that takes away the right to purchase a firearm from people who have no reason why they shouldn't is bullshit.

Because this was yet another stupid Democrat attempt at gun control that would do nothing to actually curb gun violence, but will instead affect the overwhelming majority of people who don't commit gun violence.

If you went to a psychiatrist for depression after your wife/mom/child/dog died, and got a prescription for mood-effecting drugs, that means you can't defend yourself? Great thinking, libertards.

well, 'mentally ill' is a label applied to every returning veteran. very few PTSD suffering vets are actual risks to society. further it is really shitty to say "thanks for your service, but you're now mentally incapable of defending yourself".

granted there are plenty of folks that should be denied, however, most of us require some sort of written guidelines for things like this. you can't just do w/e you feel like doing.

Back