Upgrade advice [old comp]

The_Ham

Veteran XX
So I just got a new computer, but still plan on using my old computer as a 2nd gaming system. It's old and I was hoping to get a little more life out of it with a bit of upgrading.

It's a dell dimension 8400 (if that matters)
p4 3.0 ghz (don't wanna mess with trying to upgrade this unless there are some huge bang/buck options out there)
1gig ram (planing to upgrade to 2)
GeForce 8600 GT 512meg (do I want something better?)

It also has a 400w power supply so that limits me on video cards though i don't know exactly how much.

After browsing newegg I've stumbled upon the following
Newegg.com - PNY XLR8 VCG98GTEE1XEB GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card - Desktop Graphics / Video Cards $80 after rebate
Newegg.com - Crucial 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model CT2KIT12864AA800 - Desktop Memory $50

so experts of TW. is that video card worth upgrading and will the new one even run properly in this computer? Anything else out there that is a better value?

seems like a pretty small upgrade considering $400 can get you a whole new (and pretty decent) computer. The ram would help alot imo, but the vid card is decent enough. Thats a single core P4 right? Thats pretty limiting.

While I'm not saying I am against the idea of a mack truck up my ass. I do fail to see how that helps me with my computer dilemma.

Back