Uninstalling old USB Devices

Bluntzman

Veteran XV
Situation: Running a lab PC with an HP scanner. PC was imaged with drivers etc. already on it.

Problem: When running the hp scanner software, it pops up asking to choose between either "hp scanjet 4600 series" and "hp scanjet 4600 series #2". Only the #2 choice works. It doesn't give you the choice to always pick one of the scanners.

Alright, so I've figured out most of the issue. We have several of the exact same scanner on campus (1 scanner on 1 PC in each lab), but since each USB scanner acts as an independent device Windows treats it as a secondary driver/device.

The only area this doesn't occur is in the lab with the original scanner used to make the image.

Question: Can I manually remove both driver/hardware entries from the computer without having to drag the original scanner to the machine and uninstall the primary device?

I've tried rebooting in safe mode, but with USB devices the driver/hardware entry won't appear in device manager without the device plugged in (even when selecting "show hidden devices".

Could use some insight on this one.

start->run->cmd:

(type the following commands)
set devmgr_show_all_nonpresent_devices=1
start devmgmt.msc

View->show hidden devices

You should now see a bunch of devices around that are slightly dimmed. Those are the ones that are currently not connected. Delete them. It's good for deleting all the monitors that you ever had connected to it too that you don't have connected anymore.

Back