Two favorite books you own?

5027024128a07b6ab463c010.L.jpg

Read this like 15 years ago, its always been one of my favorites...nostalgia probably factors into it a lot

tough to pin another down, it'd be either a series of a fiction book or some sort of reference book that comes in handy a lot

0201021153.01._SX240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

E69_2por5s2.jpg

I thought The Catcher In The Rye sucked.

edit: ok it didn't SUCK, but it's overrated in my opinion. Of Mice And Men, Lord Of The Flies, A Clockwork Orange, and Slaughterhouse Five are all modern classics that I believe should be remembered as such. I can't say the same for Catcher In The Rye.

*sphere*
Read this like 15 years ago, its always been one of my favorites...nostalgia probably factors into it a lot

good book. didn't really hold up nearly as well the 2nd time i read it many years later though. the movie kind of turned me off as well. Crichton wrote one of my two books as well.

n24157.jpg

This was the first book I remember buying and finishing completely on my own and really enjoying. I've probably read it 5-6 times in the last 15 years.

hard to narrow down a second so I'll submit to extreme recency bias(just finished yesterday).
a-game-of-thrones-book-cover.jpg

good book. obviously inspired to pick it up by the show. I only read about 2-3 books a year anymore, this stands out more than anything else I've read since high school.

Rising Sun is arguably Chrichton's best book, The Great Train Robbery being good competition. Congo, Sphere, Jurassic Park, and Disclosure were good, but not quite what I'd call literature.

For that matter, what is literature? I can tell you examples of it, but have no concrete definition.

edit: ok it didn't SUCK, but it's overrated in my opinion. Of Mice And Men, Lord Of The Flies, A Clockwork Orange, and Slaughterhouse Five are all modern classics that I believe should be remembered as such. I can't say the same for Catcher In The Rye.

All those books are good. I've read Catcher more than any other book. It is just an enjoyable book to read.

Rising Sun is arguably Chrichton's best book, The Great Train Robbery being good competition. Congo, Sphere, Jurassic Park, and Disclosure were good, but not quite what I'd call literature.

For that matter, what is literature? I can tell you examples of it, but have no concrete definition.

what would be your examples? to be honest, if we defined literature in a way that the two books I listed didn't qualify I probably wouldn't have more than 1-2 pieces that I've even read outside of what was required in school.

Chariot of the Gods.

An old book from Babylon ( On how to handle money: translated ))

I let Katie read it.
:( Never got it back.

Anyone here ever heard of it, read it?

I think Sphere is my favorite book by Crichton. A thousand splendid suns was fantastic (not as good as the Kite Runner), especially considering the author learned English as a second language. But, it is not one of my favorite books. It just made me think the Taliban was awful.

All those books are good. I've read Catcher more than any other book. It is just an enjoyable book to read.

So with this difference of opinion, there is nothing left but to start speculating on the meager state of each other's intelligence.

Well I'll be damned ......
I just "googed" it

The Richest man in Babylon.

Imma gonna buy that sucker.

And this time, no one is gonna get it from me! :ofn:

Well I'll be damned ......
I just "googed" it

The Richest man in Babylon.

Imma gonna buy that sucker.

And this time, no one is gonna get it from me! :ofn:

I was wondering if this was the book you meant. I read it, seemed like a lot of financial common sense that isn't so common anymore.

Had a woman I used to date give this book to me.

E69_2por5s2.jpg

Back