TWers near Reno that like Off-road Racing

Like Reno or not...it's better than a tent in the middle of a desert. After a day of pre-running (or racing) the course, I'm looking forward to relaxing at a resort. There arn't a whole lot of places with cheap resorts and race courses close together.

The "Big Brother" to this race (King of the Hammers) has the base camp on a dry lake-bed in California...it turns into a city (5000+ people, vendors bring semi trailers of parts, there is major power generators, etc). It's a cool experience...but it always seems to be a dust storm or wet out.

Last edited:
Kick that Yankee ass, Redcoats all the way!

That website sucks, can't find info on route/time/vehicles unless it's in the forums. Are you running the whole race in the vehicle or do you swap out? Buggy or truck?

Here is the schedule. The race is just east of Reno. Take exit 28 off I-80, signs will do the rest.
http://www.kingofthehammers.com/pdfs/Schedule of events U4 Stampede.pdf

Co-driving the whole thing, it's only 3 20 mile laps. Depending on how much winching and rock placing I have to do, I'll probably be beat to shit by the end of it though.

There is only one class for this race, but when they run Best in the Desert, it's considered "4400" class. It's a mix of rock crawler and desert truck.

We've got a tube chassis, LS3 (500hp), 42" tires, rear steer. We top out at about 60mph on trails...haven't had a try and open desert though, should get more out of it there. Some of the guys racing get up to 100mph (in $250,000 rigs).

If you want even more info, check out this thread:
Ultra4 Stampede course sneak peak and event info. - Pirate4x4.Com Bulletin Board

Last edited:
very cool have seen them racing on tv but not on a long race like that. it was just short timed sprints on different trails.

do you do any sort of codriving duties other than winching or piling rocks? is there time cards and route books like in Rallies?

i am off to race in NY next week over north of Watertown NY. Black River Stages rally...in harrisville.

very cool have seen them racing on tv but not on a long race like that. it was just short timed sprints on different trails.

The whole "Ultra 4" thing is pretty new. It used to be there were desert racers (BITD, Baja, etc), and then there were rock crawlers (short course, based on point system not time). One went fast, one went slow...there wasn't really an in between. Now, Ultra 4 is the in between (and it's the best of both).

King of the Hammers (been around 3 years now) started the idea of "rock crawlers that go fast" or "desert racers that can rock crawl". If you think 60 miles is long, last years KoH was 135 miles. We're talking a no chase race here too. If you break something, you need to have spares...or you are walking to the pits to get them.

do you do any sort of codriving duties other than winching or piling rocks? is there time cards and route books like in Rallies?

i am off to race in NY next week over north of Watertown NY. Black River Stages rally...in harrisville.

We've got a GPS unit on-board, so I'll be calling out any notes from that the driver needs. Not nearly to the same extent rally co-drivers do. I'm also another pair of eyes (inside or outside the vehicle) to help guide through some of the more technical obstacles. When you're driving up to a 6ft sheer cliff...the driver doesn't have much visibility.

Also help with trail repairs and stuff...whatever is needed really.

Back