Tw Weight lifters, got a quick question...

Ripper

Contributor
Veteran X
I've been lifting weights, stength training, low reps and heavy weights. I'm really seeing good results....

My question is, over the summer i work in a shipping department where i'm lifting things throughout the day. It's on average 30-50 pounds.

I still want to work out over the summer and try to bulk up but i'm worried about over working my muscles. I'm not gonna get a good enough work out from working but if i start heavy lifting i'm worried that my muscles won't get a chance to rest.

What are your thoughts... will i end up over working my muscles?

play it by muscle fatigue. I think that you will be surprised and see more gains than you think. I would make sure to "up" your food intake (protien).

you should be fine, just keep in mind that you don't have to workout EVERY day to get good results, 4 days a week is plenty as long as you stay constant. And just pay attention to your body, if it's absoultely exhausted just take a day off, it's not gonna kill anyone.

just be prepared for about the first 2 weeks, when i used to do that right after i lost my fucking huge amount of weight i got a job stocking and i was lifting 40-60 lb bags of dog/cat food. The hardest thing was finding the energy to do so, not the muscles being burned out. BUT be forewarned that as you lift hard as fuck you may find it weird doing work like that, so becareful if you drive a forklift or any other machines or climb ladders to stock/topstock.

If you are currently lifting 4-5 days a week, try dropping to 3-4 days this summer if you think you are overworking your muscles.

Eat more, sleep more.

I work in framing. It might take its toll the first few weeks of your job if you do both, but once your body gets used to your work day, it won't really be a huge deal if you are eating and resting enough. If you are really concerned, lighten up your workouts for whatever muscle groups you are using at work the most. Or save those for Fridays.

I use my back, shoulders and legs a ton. So I save my back workouts for Fridays and my leg workouts for Saturdays. You have to be really dilligent about keeping your schedule if you work a physical job and also lift. But then you can get away with never doing abs, and still have a wicked six pack. ;)

Make sure you eat enough though. I had a bitch of a time maintaining my weight with my job alone, and my numbers weren't going up so much in my workouts. I added about 700 calories to my daily intake and put on a good 5 lbs of lean mass since then. It's pretty much impossible to gain fat when you combine a physical job and lifting weights.

Last edited:
Back