[tw mechanics] fuel filter fix? or...

NiceBoy

Veteran XV
so my car is having an issue that im (hoping) will be fixed by a simple fuel filter replacement

-hit the gas in DRIVE and the car will move slightly then come to a stall.
-all charging systems are 100%. im able to turn car on-and-off without issue.

one thing to note: im able to rev the car in park and neutral...yet in drive, the car wont go. is this a sign of simply fuel not getting to the engine or possibly a transmission issue?

thanks.

(1991 toyota camry , slushbox)

A defective Thick Film Ignition (TFI) module can cause the engine to stall while driving
:no: :lol:
As can 100 other things. It's best to just start replacing parts on some internet choads word.

Get to Autozone and get the codes read, then find a Toyota forum or just google the codes.

Seriously, this could be anything. Leaking vacumm hose, fuel pump, spark plugs, air filter, coils, cam position sensor, etc. If Autozone can't dump the codes, and you insist on fixing it yourself, start with the simple things. Look for leaking vacuum lines or any other obvious problems. Plugs, wires, cap/rotor, air/ fuel filter.

Last edited:
As can 100 other things. It's best to just start replacing parts on some internet choads word.

Get to Autozone and get the codes read, then find a Toyota forum or just google the codes.

hehe, yea. I figured he check the codes first.:wave: I actually had a vehicle that wouldn't show any codes. (bad computer)

Last edited:
Definitely not the fuel filter since you can rev it fine without any hesitation. Most likely a drivetrain issue, I'm guessing transmission. You check the fluid on it recently?

Sounds like a mass air/02 sensor type thing, exact same symptoms on my car and it turned out to be a faulty mass air sensor, but as others have said, it could be one or several of many problems.

Sounds like a mass air/02 sensor type thing, exact same symptoms on my car and it turned out to be a faulty mass air sensor, but as others have said, it could be one or several of many problems.

can u go into more detail about the symptoms u faced? were u able to rev in neutral/park ok?

the car had to get towed to a local mechanic, so hopefully he can run codes and see whatsup. praying its not a drivetrain/transmission/major issue, b/c the thing cost me only $1k... lol

can u go into more detail about the symptoms u faced? were u able to rev in neutral/park ok?

Yup, like I said, exact same symptoms, revved through the entire range with the clutch in. If it's at a mechanics, here's what you do: Sit, and wait, he's gonna let you know what's up.

Back