[tw locksmiths] fixing a deadbolt lock?

Krytoss

Veteran X
the deadbolt lock that leads onto our balcony is busted... it seems that the bolt bit itself is no longer attached to the turny bit.

i have a feeling this is because we have, in the past, used the deadbolt to keep the door open a crack during the night, because our little unit here gets stifling hot, even now in november. we shall now be using a doorstop instead :x but i'd rather not shell out for a locksmith if at all possible, i figure i might as well try to fix it myself first. before i just rip it open and start poking around i figured that i'd ask here first

DSC_6188.JPG

its a schlage, if that makes any difference

Give us a shout when you decide to change the tumblers to fit a new key. Then you'll be getting into some complexity.

;)

Screws come off the inside, pull the inside half off, then pull outside half off, then pull the screws on the bolt, and pull the bolt out. Install in reverse.

Only downside to replacing a deadbolt yourself is it won't be keyed the same. As it's a balcony lock though, I doubt you care how it is keyed.

you've seen the size of our place...you think i've got the space to get up that kind of speed? i'd have to open our door, the stairwell door, and start out there...

Join us next time for the "[tw mechanics] fixing a flat tire?" thread by Krytoss.

Schlage may be shitty, but what else are you gonna get from Home Depot or something, Kwikset?

Krytoss, there is 1 measurement you need to take into account before buying the deadbolt which is the backset. Basically the dimension from the edge of the door to the center line of the lock. Looks like 2-3/8" which is standard residential, but it may be 2-3/4".

and yes, I supply doors frames and hardware for a living. :p:

Schlage may be shitty, but what else are you gonna get from Home Depot or something, Kwikset?

Krytoss, there is 1 measurement you need to take into account before buying the deadbolt which is the backset. Basically the dimension from the edge of the door to the center line of the lock. Looks like 2-3/8" which is standard residential, but it may be 2-3/4".

and yes, I supply doors frames and hardware for a living. :p:
how are medeco locks? also, how beneficial would it be to use longer screws that go into the door itself as opposed to just the jamb

Back