[TW Investors] Stocks

Clever

Veteran X
Just looking too see what online discount brokers the folks at TW use. I have heard some are better then others but I am not sure if this bullshit.

I finally got enough money and time to invest some cash directly without going through a mutual fund.

On a related note, I finalized paperwork to purchase 2000 shares of the Visa IPO on March 14th. Anyone else in on this one?

I recommend E*Trade because I use them and am quite pleased with the interface and online functionality, but I hear Scottrade has lower fees.

I would buy some Visa shares on the 14th if I had an in to the IPO, but I do not, so I will have to see what happens when the bell opens.

Visaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

probably a good bet

to bad I don't have an in or that kind of money to play around with

+1 for sharebuilder probably being the way to go

no minimum, $4 trades

I'm not sure what kind of research help they give you, but you should just be looking at companies 10-K reports anyway rather than trying to buy/sell according to the market.

Don't use a discount online broker to buy single stocks, you will most likely lose money.

Having any fewer than 20 stocks in a portfolio will pound your beta into oblivion. And unless you have been investing for 10+ years and really know what is going on you will lose a lot of money and really fast.

Your best bet is to buy a managed account at a large wire house like Merrill Lynch, Smith Barney, AG Edwards, etc. Trust me, I've had many clients try both and it is the same story every single time. Also, you can only get IPO's direct from the underwriter, so if you are planning on investing in Visa or whatever comes next you will not even come close to getting the issue price. That means you must have an account at J.P. Morgan, Goldman Sachs, or Bank of America for the VISA deal.

Also, never take investment advice from this board. ASK A PROFESSIONAL

Last edited:
I use zecco, it's 100% free and I just got a marginal account setup.

My initial investment was 2k and now im sittin at 3.8k. I've lost alot of money but obviously I've gained more. Zecco doesnt have the greatest tools but there're a million other sites you can use for that stuff.

I recommend E*Trade because I use them and am quite pleased with the interface and online functionality, but I hear Scottrade has lower fees.

I would buy some Visa shares on the 14th if I had an in to the IPO, but I do not, so I will have to see what happens when the bell opens.

How much of a premium to Mastercard should Visa trade? Visa is the leader so it should get some premium and demand might push both stocks higher.

I still need to do some work but the IPO range looks to be relatively similar to MA current valuation with similar growth rates. (I get roughly 30 p/e, 6x sales and 11% sales growth but could be off by a bit) Everyone is going bananas about Visa, and it will probably trade significantly higher than the IPO range but I don't think I'll be buying.

edit: I will put in for shares for the IPO but don't think I'll get much if any.

Last edited:
Also, the big banks are the ones that own shares of Visa and will probably be looking to sell as much as possible because of their credit problems which could create an overhang on the stock.

Best interface - TWS - by far for more serious trading (I day trade natural gas futures). Hundreds of times better than etrade's trading platform. I'm also pretty sure you can open an account with 5k. Really cheap stock trades too; as long as you make over 3 trades a month and thus bypass the market data fee.

They also have excellent customer support if you ever have any problems. Big proponent of IB. It's a more "professional" trading site though, so maybe not exactly what you're looking for - its geared for active traders.

Kami

Back