[TW Experts] Coffee

Clever

Veteran X
I am tired of my 10 dollar coffee maker and the shitty scorched coffee it makes. Does anyone have any suggestions for a good coffee maker? I was searching online but couldn't find any side by side reviews. I do not want to spend over like 70-80 bucks on one also.

What type of features should one look for? Which ones are useless?

Some people have told me that the best route is to spend money on a good grinder and then just use a french press. Anyone go this route? I am just wondering how much of a pain in the ass it is to clean one of the french presses daily.

I am sure there must be a few coffee experts on TW (Besides Reggs and his starbucks)....

i thought it was Kapion who was the Starbucks fanboy

i remember a Reggs post where he went into a lot of detail about home coffee makers and shit...but it was all kind of over my head and i can't help you at all because i only drink water.

but gl :)

bodum aka french press with your own grinder = win

make sure you only buy/grind as much beans as you need, unless you have a well-sealed place to store them. leaving them sit out ruins the taste after a while. i used to go beans route, but i am busy and lazy so i buy ~1/4lb of ground beans fresh once a week for my bodum.

when work is less insane i will return to grinding my own beans.

i thought it was Kapion who was the Starbucks fanboy

i remember a Reggs post where he went into a lot of detail about home coffee makers and shit...but it was all kind of over my head and i can't help you at all because i only drink water.

but gl :)

Ya is was Kapion, I swore as a kid I would never drink coffee but somehow I have slowly become addicted. That shit sneaks up on you.

bodum aka french press with your own grinder = win

make sure you only buy/grind as much beans as you need, unless you have a well-sealed place to store them. leaving them sit out ruins the taste after a while. i used to go beans route, but i am busy and lazy so i buy ~1/4lb of ground beans fresh once a week for my bodum.

when work is less insane i will return to grinding my own beans.

Crom, how much do you have to spend on a grinder before you don't see much of a drop off in quality? I see prices vary hugely from like 15 bucks to 100+.

A $30 grinder will be about as good as you can get before you start spending >100 for multi speed grinders etc etc

Longevity goes up with the cost. GreenMountain Coffee gives you one for free if you sign up for monthly coffee. I have used theirs for a year now with no problems. I think its 20$

The secret to good coffee is leaving out the beans and just drinking the water. Coffee is nasty.

Since I can't use heat plates in my office (fucking old ass LSU building), I have to use a pod machine. I started with a cheap one, but it sucked, so I spent the money and got a Krupps pod maker, which uses a pressurized heating system and works pretty well. It also makes a 14 oz cup in 3 mins, so that helps too.

KP1010%20Home%20Cafe.jpg

Back