[TW Engineers] Masters Degree or No?

Clever

Veteran X
I am graduating w/ a degree in Bio Engineering this year and looking for some advice on the issue from the infinite wisdom of TW.

(I know there are a couple of engineering grads floating around.. or at least there was back in the day).

I am in the same boat as you, but computer engineering. I am not sure that I could put up with more school though. We have a career fair wednesday so I am going to see how that goes. Done my research on the companies I would want to work for.

I'm an EE, planning on getting my masters at least, if my brain hasn't exploded i might possibly try for my phd, but realistically i don't think i will

I was CS/CE
Make 70s out of college or an extra 2 years of school to make 5% more (at least at my company?)

Also the 2 years you're working your salary is ~150k + benefits, vs -50k depending on what type of school you go to (I went to private)

I think its better to wait because (a) they pay for [some of] it and (b) I can go back in a few years to engineering management then move up into a lead position [maybe quicker than getting one right after grad?] :shrug:

I think the 2 best options are to plan ahead and either do a 5 year masters, or wait until you are working at a company (like I am thinking about/plan on doing)

Hell, you may get to a company and start getting promoted a lot ;) and may realize you don't need that masters degree. The directors in my group, VP, SVP don't have masters... just exceled at their job ;)

Last edited:
tf2_engineer%20.jpg

if you want to work in industry go for a phd

Yes, but either way he oughta get some industry experience.

I'd strongly advise trying to squeeze into some type of firm that does a shitload of different stuff, even if it's some monstrously big one. Then head for masters with eye on doctoral continuation.

I skipped right into doctoral studies out of college and now wish i hadnt... (more social science stuff, tho)

I just finished getting my BSME. I know a few people getting their masters, because they can do it in 1 year, but other than that everyone is going into industry first. The difference in pay is not that great for an entry level job. I'm sure I'll get a masters but not anytime soon.

I'm getting my bachelors in ECE this spring and will be pursuing a phd. Overall I think it opens up your options. You have links to academia and business as long as you play your summer internships, and manage your university-corporate links. It all depends on where you want to go and what you want to do, but giving a couple extra years of hard work for grad school (if you just want a masters) is worth it imo (if you hate school and research.. then not so much).

i bailed and went the consulting route, i never wanted to work in a lab again after i graduated.

a lot of my friends who did BME now work for medtronic or guidant

pays well, but most of them plan on going to med school in a year or so

there isn't really a future in industry in the sense that you hit a glass ceiling pretty quickly, even with a master's degree. phd is the way to go if you enjoy the material and you want to work in industry or academia. if you want to eventually move out of the lab then you can look at getting an MBA as an alternative after working a few years.

I was CS/CE
Make 70s out of college or an extra 2 years of school to make 5% more (at least at my company?)

Also the 2 years you're working your salary is ~150k + benefits, vs -50k depending on what type of school you go to (I went to private)

I think its better to wait because (a) they pay for [some of] it and (b) I can go back in a few years to engineering management then move up into a lead position [maybe quicker than getting one right after grad?] :shrug:

I think the 2 best options are to plan ahead and either do a 5 year masters, or wait until you are working at a company (like I am thinking about/plan on doing)

What school did you go to?

With my degree/courses I left it open so I could go either biomed or bioprocessing...

After seeing what the market is and how my professors get paid bioprocessing looks like the way to go.

Getting into graduate school will not be a problem, it is just a "will I make more moeny long run with or without it" type of thing.

If it's about money, work full time at a company now and do the grad school immediately (morning/night classes)

I keep hearing that you should go into industry first - then go back (hopefully the company pays for it). Companies don't necessarily want an 'academic' and they like to mold you. :shrug:

I'm looking to transfer into the engineering school at UCLA after the next 2 quarters. Yeah, it will probably be tough.

It depends on the local market.

I know in my part of Canada if you get a Masters you run the risk of being over-qualified. I know quite a few people who took it off their resume because they kept getting turned down on interviews.

If you want to do research, R&D, maybe... Otherwise it might not necessarily lead to more money (let's consider we're not talking about MBAs here as those aren't engineering Masters).

I've "only" got a Bachelors in Mechanical Engineering myself and yet my job kicks ass. I work for one of about only a dozen compagnies in North America in this field and we're among the best, if not at the top. I graduated last year and I've seen more things and done more stuff in the last 14 months then I had in the previous 23 years. In a month I'll have gone to every continent except Antarctica.

All that with "only" a Bachelors....

Money certainly isn't the only thing that matters...

Max

Back