[TW Doctors] Blood Noses

Climax

Veteran X
So, of course this will sound a little dumb, but it's worth a shot.
Last night when I was in the shower I found blood on my hand, after having just begun washing my hair I thought that might be it. A quick search found nothing, then I saw some on my stomache, and cleaned that up to see nothing.
Finally I found some on my cheek, once more nothing, before realising that my nose was bleeding quite a bit. Now I've never had a blood nose before. What are the reasons for this? Is there anything I should do? Is this of any possible concern to me?

Cliffs:
Blood nose in shower
Never had one before
Why?

Put some Vaseline in your nose before you go to bed - and quit picking your nose.

EDIT: You can have the blood vessels cauterized if it becomes a problem.

I know. It was just a kinda odd thing, and I've never had it before, so. :shrug:
Was just wondering if there was a reason, thanks!

Epistaxis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Take your pick:
The cause of nosebleeds can generally be divided into two categories, local and systemic factors, although it should be remembered that a significant number of nosebleeds occur with no obvious cause.

Local factors

* Anatomical deformities, such as septal spurs or Osler-Weber-Rendu Syndrome
* Chemical inhalant
* Inflammatory reaction (eg. acute respiratory tract infections, chronic sinusitis, allergic rhinitis and environmental irritants)
* Foreign bodies
* Intranasal tumors (Nasopharyngeal carcinoma in adult, and nasopharyngeal angiofibroma in adolescent males)
* Nasal prong O2 which tends to dry the nasal mucosa
* Nasal sprays, particularly prolonged or improper use of nasal steroids
* Narcotics, particularly insufflated cocaine
* Surgery (such as septoplasty and endoscopic sinus surgery)
* Trauma (usually a sharp blow to the face)
* Nose-picking
* Low relative humidity of air breathed occurring especially during winter seasons.
* Otic barotrauma from descent in aircraft or scuba diving.

Systemic factors

* Drugs - Aspirin, Fexofenadine/Allegra/Telfast, warfarin, ibuprofen, clopidogrel, isotretinoin, desmopressin and others
* Alcohol (due to vasodilation)
* Allergies
* Blood dyscrasias
* Envenomation by mambas, taipans, kraits, and death adders
* Heart failure (due to an increase in venous pressure)
* Hematological malignancy
* Hypertension
* Infectious diseases
* Pregnancy
* Vascular disorders

Back