TW DJs (or high-end headphone users): Halp!

R-man

Veteran X
I'm in the market for a good set of high-end headphones suitable for DJing or mixing. I don't know much about being a DJ or if there's anything I should take into consideration before making said purchase.

It's a Christmas gift, and I'm willing to spend upto $200..

Any suggestions?

Megan Fox thanks you for your trouble.

megan-fox-kiss-mirror.jpg

Thanks guys.

Is there anything I should be looking for in a set, or can I just buy whatever is in my price range and be comfortable that it'll serve its purpose well?

Senns are a little out of my price range. The Sony looks like it could be good though.

Last edited:
durability based on how hard you will use them vs audio quality vs comfort vs use

dont buy a set that cant flip an ear if you plan to be actually djing and not just producing because wearing the things half on is ghetto as shit

you're looking for headphones that serve two purposes:

1) good sound isolation

2) superb sound quality both in mids/lows/highs

both the headphones that I listed offer both, I think the hd-25's focus more on mids, rather then lows.

I dj and own a pair of 7506's and they have served me well.

If there is one thing as a DJ that you shouldn't cheap out on is the headphones.. as they make a huge difference.

The person I'm getting them for DJs weekly at least, and is almost always producing something.

All of that's really good to know, not stuff I would have figured out on my own. Thanks very much :)

ahh fak.

Maybe I'll just get the Sony for the DJing... How long have yours lasted you/how often do you use them?

they will last a long time if they are taken care of.. they get better with age as the padding on the earphones will almost feel like silk on your ears, and the sound quality gets better the more you use them.

and I use them all the time, 2-3 hours per day

pioneer_hdj1000.jpg

i have this one for dj-ing.. it's kinda tight around your head and it fits more and more into the shape of your head when time passes, it's a great headphone but it has an enhanced bass play.. it's 200 euro. this is one of the better dj headphones around.. i've seen the most 'famous' dj's using this one.

sennheiser-hd650.jpg

planning on buying this one soon for producing and just listening too.. the sennheiser hd-650.. i've read all over the web (including a lot of audio engineering fora) that this one is one of the best in it's pricerange.. i've seen it for sale varying from 250 to 400 euro's here in holland.. gonna buy it in germany i think they have cheaper prices haha.. anyway..

depends on what you want to pay for it.. i mean there are headphones which are around 2000 euro lol..

This is what i've said in the headphone thread which was on tw like 2 days ago ;o

either the pioneer's hdj1000 or senn hd25's. i haven't used the ultrasone's (dj1) but i hear they're quite solid.

edit: the 7506 mentioned above are just 'alright' but one of the best in the bunch for long-sessions. they're light as hell but they're the most breakable of the bunch.

If you're looking for style bonus points, I'd check out WeSC.

Technics and AKG also put out good products.
edit: Professional quality AKG, check out K181 DJ Headphones and for the lower end sister product (but still good quality for the price), K81DJ Headphones.

Last edited:
Back