TW and Tribes was 20 years too early

JustinCase

Contributor
Veteran XX
Think about it...look at all the Twitch streamers and professional gamers making literal millions of dollars now playing these dog shit ass games. I remember my parents telling me you can't make a living playing video games. Who would have thought...we should all be rich...I'm drunk.

You still can't make money playing video games. Everyone who makes money is just a personality or has tits.

There's a guy who streams WoW, a game that hasn't been relevant for a decade. Asmon I think is his name. Dude has no teeth and is a professional neckbeard. Has over 20k subscribers at $5/month each. So he's making over $1 million at least.

We got fucked. Any of us could have been millionaires streaming whatever we were playing at UVA.

I really feel for some of the TSN and WSBN folks, they laid a lot of the groundwork for this type of shit.
Also look at F4tality... He did well for the time but could you imagine what his wealth would look like in today's terms? Akuma coulda been Justin Wong, but with 30 chicks.

In all honesty, Tribes absolutely sucks compared to most modern games. It would have to be fundamentally different, and because of that, it would manage to be even worse--sort of like Quake 3 vs. Quake Champions.

No one would watch it or play it.

I'm sorry.

However, we can all appreciate that most developers took what was great about it and implemented that into their games over the last couple decades.

- Jerry

Last edited:
The only thing that would hold Tribes back today is the skill curve. Games nowadays are made simple for 12 year olds abusing their parents credit cards. Really sad.

Last edited:
I had more fun playing T2 than I did with any other game. I think it helped that a lot of my real-life friends and a few family members also loved the game. Being on TS, getting our collective drink on, talking shit on TS and sending blue disks of death INTO YOUR FUCKING FACE! rar... was awesome.

It kinda sounds like you're saying we were all born too early, rather than Tribes being too early. I think Tribes hit a sweet spot in terms of competitive online gaming. But you're right that we're all too old now to capitalize on this trend of lucrative eSports and streambux.

Yeah, 2001 played with Mirage, we were all Finnish team except 1 scottish player and managed to play to the finals of the UKcup. We were faced against a French team Crushed frogs and owned them 6-0 on all maps. the prices were some cheap ass GPUs and we had to fight the tournament organisers to pay the flight tickets afterwards lol. Today we would have made millions doing that same shit.

It was good times though, i was 24 years old as most of the team, After the event we got drunk and partyed late in the night, the next day we roamed around London in hangover. The UKcup was considered like being EU champions, Oh and we got a little nice trophy to take home! that brings food on the table! :)

if TW and Tribes started now non of you would be anywhere near as relevant as you guys thought u were in 98.

Sorry.

if TW and Tribes started now non of you would be anywhere near as relevant as you guys thought u were in 98.

Sorry.

Only because the market is flooded with eSports titles and online gaming is ubiquitous. Most of us were still playing on 56K modems in 1999 and the only major competition at the time was Quake, UT, and Team Fortress. Top 10 OGL then would still be Top 10 OGL today, all things being equal, but it would matter less because the list of competing titles is a mile long and Tribes has (had) a steep learning curve.

It kinda sounds like you're saying we were all born too early, rather than Tribes being too early. I think Tribes hit a sweet spot in terms of competitive online gaming. But you're right that we're all too old now to capitalize on this trend of lucrative eSports and streambux.

you just blew my mind

Only because the market is flooded with eSports titles and online gaming is ubiquitous. Most of us were still playing on 56K modems in 1999 and the only major competition at the time was Quake, UT, and Team Fortress. Top 10 OGL then would still be Top 10 OGL today, all things being equal, but it would matter less because the list of competing titles is a mile long and Tribes has (had) a steep learning curve.

there is that... and the fact that i dont think any of you would be starting to do competition gaming at your current age.

Back