[tv] universal remotes

Mudslide

Veteran XV
i'm thinking it's time to purchase a universal remote control. i currently have remotes for tv, dvr box, dvd player, surround sound and xbox. this will be my first universal remote and i come to tw seeking feedback on the current remotes on the market.

i'm hearing the logitech harmony one is pretty ballin

Mudslide called me at home. BAN HIM!

Spoiler

Every Harmony remote should work with the 360. The only shortfall is it doesn't support trigger presses (page up/down in menus) because they work on radio waves, not IR.

I have a 880 and it's great. Get whatever Harmony you're willing to shell out for. I'd suggest at least spending money on one that's rechargeable.

Last edited:
Every Harmony remote should work with the 360. The only shortfall is it doesn't support trigger presses (page up/down in menus) because they work on radio waves, not IR.

I have a 680 and it's great. Get whatever Harmony you're willing to shell out for. I'd suggest at least spending money on one that's rechargeable.

i've been looking at the harmony one and the harmony 880. the one has a touch screen, which i'm not too sure how much i'd like on a remote control

I have a 680 and it's great. Get whatever Harmony you're willing to shell out for. I'd suggest at least spending money on one that's rechargeable.

dont they make a harmony specifically for the 360?

dont they make a harmony specifically for the 360?
Yeah, but that one is very limited. Basically it's just a lower-end Harmony painted to resemble a 360. And, I could be wrong about this, but I don't think it supports trigger buttons either.

any idea what its limitations are? I mean, i only have a 360, tv, receiver, and blu-ray player.. will it suffice?
I'm not an expert, but what I see offhand are: no rechargeable battery pack, small LCD which means you have to page over repeatedly to access more functions, probably still won't be able to use the trigger buttons with it.

I just changed my first post, I have an 880, not a 680. I really think it's the best bang for the buck. From what I can tell, the One is just as expensive simply because it has a touch screen which I don't see the need for.

You can get the 880 for ~$150 easily. Mine was $100 because of some random deal on Amazon a year ago.

Edit: Also, I've dropped my 880 more times than I care to admit on hardwood floors and it still works perfectly.

Last edited:
Back