Turf Toe?

Rooster128

Veteran XV
Wondering if any of you have experience with turf toe or injury on your big toe. Looking for shoes with good support, or techniques for rehabilitating, any suggestions et al.

A year or two ago my dad ran over my big toe with his truck while we were doing a dump run. Since then I've had limited mobility- usually when I'm resting at my computer I curl my big toes and kind of rest on the top of the toe, but I haven't been able to flex my left big toe at all since the incident.

I haven't thought much of it (and I don't have the funds to see a doctor at all, let alone pay X-ray bills or whatnot), so I haven't done much with it besides stay off it when I can. But lately depending on the shoe I wear, I sense pain traveling down my big toe into the ball of my foot. It happens usually with the shoes I have that use a memory foam sole. I get the feeling I may have fractured or broken something during the incident- or may just have turf toe. Not sure. I thought it would have healed by now, but I am on the foot constantly as my job requires a lot of walking around.

Not sure what to do about it really. I've tried researching on google but the masochist in me decided I should try asking on TW too. IDK- anyone ever have their toe run over by a truck?

That's probably not turf toe tho

Yea I didn't think it is either- wishful thinking I guess? If it's something serious that requires surgery or anything I honestly will not be able to do anything about it, so I'm going for what I can do about it.

get your idiot father to pay your medical bills

Yea I question if he's all there sometimes. But he does a lot for me already, supporting me while I deal with college debt that I simply do not have to the means to pay and provide for myself at the same time (wooo college...)

Wondering if any of you have experience with turf toe or injury on your big toe. Looking for shoes with good support, or techniques for rehabilitating, any suggestions et al.

A year or two ago my dad ran over my big toe with his truck while we were doing a dump run. Since then I've had limited mobility- usually when I'm resting at my computer I curl my big toes and kind of rest on the top of the toe, but I haven't been able to flex my left big toe at all since the incident.

I haven't thought much of it (and I don't have the funds to see a doctor at all, let alone pay X-ray bills or whatnot), so I haven't done much with it besides stay off it when I can. But lately depending on the shoe I wear, I sense pain traveling down my big toe into the ball of my foot. It happens usually with the shoes I have that use a memory foam sole. I get the feeling I may have fractured or broken something during the incident- or may just have turf toe. Not sure. I thought it would have healed by now, but I am on the foot constantly as my job requires a lot of walking around.

Not sure what to do about it really. I've tried researching on google but the masochist in me decided I should try asking on TW too. IDK- anyone ever have their toe run over by a truck?
1) get a job
2) buy health insurance
3) see a doctor instead of asking gaming nerds for medical advice

more than one way to do "personal responsibility"

i literally cannot afford health insurance, regardless of what any job offers me. i pay more than a grand in student loan debt, every month. take from that what you will- i fucked up, i have to pay for my mistakes, blah blah blah. but at the end of the day, at least i've worked my 8 hours, at least I'm still trying to do something about my toe... so take your personal responsibility bullshit and shove it where the sun don't shine. i'm doing what i can.

at least I'm still trying to do something about my toe
:lolwut:

doing something about it would be getting a job, buying health insurance and seeing a doctor.

here's plan b: find a nice canadian guy and marry him so that my tax dollars that the govt steals from me can go towards funding you and your needs while you sit at home

more than one way to do "personal responsibility"

i literally cannot afford health insurance, regardless of what any job offers me. i pay more than a grand in student loan debt, every month. take from that what you will- i fucked up, i have to pay for my mistakes, blah blah blah. but at the end of the day, at least i've worked my 8 hours, at least I'm still trying to do something about my toe... so take your personal responsibility bullshit and shove it where the sun don't shine. i'm doing what i can.

You didn't try getting on the Government marketplace and buying insurance? It's 'cheaper' there because of the subsidy, if you are working. Granted, you're going to be paying a deductible so large, it's not going to be worth it.

i think you're being a bit literal. if someone at mcdoanlds complained about their paycheck i'd facetiously reply with "get a job" but if you want something laser accurate, then "get a real job" or "get a job that is isnt shitty"

does that help

here i would ask you what state you live in

if you make under 120% of federal poverty rate (~20k) you qualify for free obamacare in over than half of the country. if you live in a historically blue state, non-southern state, you are set.

then you fill out papers....take you just over a month to get approval (faster if you don't need your cards)

then you call your general practitioner. set up appointment.

dead beat obamacare doctors are typically booked for months and months

but you make appointment and wait (like canada)

then you will tell him about your problem

they will waste a bunch of time and money (but only your time, others money)

then he will give you approval to find a Podiatrist

finding a Podiatrist in your area, who will take your shit obamacare will be tricky, but will be somewhere within a 300 mile area.

then you will wait a bunch more months to set an appointment and visit that person

then you will have the best medical diagnosis that not having money will give you

foodpantryWS1.jpg

same goes for food lines.......

or, you know, get a job and save up cash instead of wasting months and hope that you can trick a good padiatrist directly. people like working for money. money makes people do work and touch your feet.

your dad should pay for it if he isn't a dick.....since he is more than at fault for running you over in the first place.

tell him i know a disability lawyer shekel and smekel if he doesn't fork over $$$

MaineCare, Maine's version of that, doesn't apply to me. Our dear sweet governor Lepage refused to expand the program years ago for people in my situation because we are 'able-bodied adults'. I was refused the help. And yeah, I hear you on the deductibles Jomo. I've already at many plans on the marketplace. I mean, besides the fact I literally cannot afford anything.

It'd be nice to secure proper vetting in our healthcare system... but anyway, can we have a thread at TW not about politics...

about that toe... can you guys offer any sage advice or is this meaningless?

It sounds like you broke your toe. You'll heal over maybe 6months to a year, and still feel some pain. After about a year or two it should go away to some extent.

A kid in highschool stamped on my foot in basketball and crushed a bone in the knuckle of my big toe thats the timeline for it healing. I was young though so it may take longer for you.

odds are good that any plan you would be able to buy, with your income, would have such a high deductible that it wouldn't be worth worrying about.

i honestly expect the cost of what you need to be under 2k and that isn't an unrealistic deductible cost

so fuck insurance......grab some monies (you will be paying for it either way here) and go shop around for the best podiatrist in your region.

make a list of them
call them and ask if they do walk ins (no pun intended)
ask them if they deal with cash patients

then make an appointment

there is no free option here. there isn't even a discounted option

cash discounts are often available in my experience however. because people like $$$$

not paperwork and bullshit health insurance that pays pennies on the dollar

Back