trying to build a computer and failing

cacophobia

Veteran XX
So I bought all these parts separately and am trying to put them together. Processor is a Core 2 Duo 2.13GHz. Graphics card is a geforce 7600GT eVGA. Originally I had a motherboard and when we plugged in the processor/mobo/graphics card the motherboard wasn't posting and the BIOS screen wasn't coming up...

Couldn't figure out what was wrong until my friend pointed out the mobo supports socket 775, but not specifically Core 2 Duos. So I went and bought a new mobo from best buy that is socket 775 w/ core 2 duo and hooked the whole shabang up again ... processor/mobo/graphics card.

Now the exact same thing happens - motherboard doesnt post, BIOS screen doesn't come up, even though the fans are powering on. Any suggestions? My friend said putting the old processor into a non-compatible motherboard may have fried it, but he didn't know at all the likelihood of that plus we have no way to test it. That's all I got for now...

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Wow. You should probably let a pro handle it from here on out, but I can tell you that your processor will be ok unless it was doa from the start.

I agree with Beast; all sorts of possibilities with hardware config and set-up which would be pretty hard for us to get a good picture ~~> yup, get a pro to help out...

Your PSU is the right kind to support this mobo, right?? ~~> thinking bout 20 pin and 24 pin.. You didn't give full specs on Mobo or PSU or Sound Card or HDs, yadda which would help!!??

You have checked all connections and cables for good fit??

Last edited:
did you actually connect all the power connectors properly? mobo should have the 24 pin one and a supplemental 4 pin one (or maybe it was 6, I forget) so that's two power connectors for the mobo itself. then there's your video card's power connector as well.

but seriously, get someone else to mess with it.

Back