[Trucks] Tell me about yours

Defaced

Veteran X
Someone recently rear-ended me at a red light and I found out today that my Rio is a write-off.

I recently moved to a part of Canada (Alberta) where the roads aren't plowed or salted. I make considerably more money than I did and gas is cheap so I'm going to buy a truck.

I'm going to test drive a couple, but I'm not an automotive geek in any sense and I want input. Right now I'm thinking Ram 1500 or Tacoma. I've also wanted an Xterra since the last time I bought a car, but the extra $10k is a consideration. I won't be using the vehicle for any sort of "real" work regardless, so an SUV is an option.

I'm sure there are things I would be better off knowing now, so please enlighten me.

Pickups are shit unless you legitimately need the box.

They're garbage in the winter and they're garbage for hauling anything worth a damn in shitty weather.

Xterra is good. I have a Pathfinder and its served me well for years... proper body-on-frame construction and its rugged as hell. Shit mileage.

DSC02056.jpg

i'd go suv over pickup if you are never going to use the bed

i like the new ford edge (with the sports package):

60264403.jpg

Last edited:
Pickups are shit unless you legitimately need the box.

They're garbage in the winter and they're garbage for hauling anything worth a damn in shitty weather.

not arguing with you, but if that's true why does every house in every small town in canada have a pickup truck in the driveway?

is it 4 hauling their ride-on lawnmower or snowmobile or other shit that living in a city i couldn't care less about?

No idea why hicks love their pickups.

If you're not in construction or farming or something, I really see no point. Hauling quads or bikes maybe?

Like I said, unless you have a specific need for the box, pickups are fuckin shit. RWD ones are especially useless.

My biggest concern is definitely handling in the snow. The Xterra had a huge advantage in terms of being something I already wanted.

The Wrangler looks good on paper. Do Jeeps not suck by default though? I was under the impression they did.

4-door Jeep is good too.

4Runner and 05+ Pathfinders (not including the newly announced piece of shit for 2012+) are, IMO, the most robust SUVs.

My biggest concern is definitely handling in the snow. The Xterra had a huge advantage in terms of being something I already wanted.

The Wrangler looks good on paper. Do Jeeps not suck by default though? I was under the impression they did.

Jeeps are great. I take mine offroading every once in awhile and never get hung up on anything really. Also in the snow they just plow on thru. Only time I see that Jeeps may "Suck" is when the owner goes mudding with them every weekend and never cares enough to check the jeep afterwards. My buddy had an Xterra, those are great as well.

No idea why hicks love their pickups.

If you're not in construction or farming or something, I really see no point. Hauling quads or bikes maybe?

Like I said, unless you have a specific need for the box, pickups are fuckin shit. RWD ones are especially useless.

What trucks are not rear wheel drive? And towing capacity for trucks is > SUV's. So, Boat, trailer or any toy trucks are better. I have only ever owned pick ups and I cant imagine not driving one. They are not a smooth ride but riding high on high ways is great.

To the OP, I have a Tundra now and the thing is a complete beast. However, the new Silverados and Tundras come out very shortly so maybe get somthing to tide you over?

whatever you can pay cash for, fuck payments. Also, spend $3k on it so you can put minimum insurance on it and beat the fuck out if it if you want to.

Back