Trouble with a CD-RW drive

Vampire

Veteran XV
Friend of mine is having trouble with her CD-RW drive, trying to find some information on what might be wrong, thought I'd check TW while I was at it.

Here's what I know:
- Running Windows XP Professional
- using Roxio Easy CD Creator
- Currently using Maxell CD-Rs, had the same issue with some fujifilm CDs
- I do not know what her drive is, neither does she.

She was having trouble getting access to the drive at all initially but that seems okay now.

Her CD drive doesn't appear to be reading the media at all. She can access it under 'My computer' but it doesn't show even a blank CD there.

Going through Roxio it says there isn't the media cannot be used.

Anybody had a problem similar to this that might know what's up?

Stop using shitty software, take a deep breath, uninstall Easy CD Creator and make sure, make absolutely sure, that DirectCD is uninstalled because it's a pile of ass, and throw Nero on there.

DONE AND DONE.

Chikaze said:
Can she read normal cd's in there? (music/game/prog cd's)

yes it plays music CDs

direct quote: "oh the drive works. sometimes. it plays music CDs"

is it possibly a loose cable?

Vampire said:
yes it plays music CDs

direct quote: "oh the drive works. sometimes. it plays music CDs"

is it possibly a loose cable?
Could be dust on the lens. I had a similar problems years ago. My drive was pretty finicky so I took it apart and there was a huge dust bunny right on the lens. Got rid of that and the drive was like new again.

But regardless, do her a huge favor and get her to exorcise EasyCD Creator the hell off her drive. *puke* I can't believe people actually use that program.. I guess if people will still actually use AOL for their ISP, it's not that far of a stretch that other people would use EasyCD Creator.

Check for loose cables, if that doesn't work always update your firmware is a good thing. And if that doesn't work get a good CD lens cleaner.

So from what I gather it probably isn't a software issue?

She's really not too good on the hardware end of things, so I don't really want to tell her to try to check for loose cables/etc. on her own.

Any other possibilities, or should I just go over there and fix it myself?

It's not a loose cable guaranteed. I suppose there is some off chance there could be something on the lens, I have no idea about that. I would try using the newest version of Nero before screwing with anything hardware related.

Ixiterra said:
It's not a loose cable guaranteed. I suppose there is some off chance there could be something on the lens, I have no idea about that. I would try using the newest version of Nero before screwing with anything hardware related.

What about Nero would make it play CDs better?

I agree that easy cd creator isn't exactly ideal to say the least, but its not just a problem burning CDs.

Vampire said:
What about Nero would make it play CDs better?

I agree that easy cd creator isn't exactly ideal to say the least, but its not just a problem burning CDs.
"oh the drive works. sometimes. it plays music CDs"

What does that mean? Sometimes meaning it plays music and data, but doesn't burn? Or sometimes meaning it plays music sometimes. If it's just burning I'd try a different program. Otherwise it's hard to say.

Vampire said:
So from what I gather it probably isn't a software issue?

She's really not too good on the hardware end of things, so I don't really want to tell her to try to check for loose cables/etc. on her own.

Any other possibilities, or should I just go over there and fix it myself?
I would say just head over there. If it is software (highly unlikely) then it's easier to deal with in person. If it is hardware such as dust on the lens, you're probably more confident of a computer user than she is to deal with that as well.

Ixiterra said:
"oh the drive works. sometimes. it plays music CDs"

What does that mean? Sometimes meaning it plays music and data, but doesn't burn? Or sometimes meaning it plays music sometimes. If it's just burning I'd try a different program. Otherwise it's hard to say.

She means that sometimes the drive works, period. Sorry, I should have clarified there.

She was having trouble even getting the CD tray to open last night, but it since started behaving.

vempire said:
I would say just head over there. If it is software (highly unlikely) then it's easier to deal with in person. If it is hardware such as dust on the lens, you're probably more confident of a computer user than she is to deal with that as well.

Yeah that's what I had told her, figured I'd see what I could find out for information, but that without being physically there with the computer it's kind of hard to diagnose.

As for hardware, she hasn't a clue, I built my own computer and worked building them from the circuit boards up for a couple years, so it would probably be better if I attempted myself than trying to direct her. :p

All right thanks for the help. :)

Cheater said:
Easy solution: get a new drive....had similar problems, replaced the drine for $40, no problem.

also a possibility, but I think I'd at least like to try to fix it for her before telling her she's gotta go buy a new one :p

Vampire said:
also a possibility, but I think I'd at least like to try to fix it for her before telling her she's gotta go buy a new one :p
Just make sure, whatever happens, she "rewards" you for your e-help.

Back