TorchLight 2

escapedturkey

Veteran-4
TorchLight 2

Front Page Article

Torchlight II ignites the franchise created and developed by Runic Games in this exciting sequel to the award-winning Action RPG Torchlight. Runic Games, located in Seattle, is a veteran team composed of the designers and leads of projects like Diablo, Diablo II, Mythos, Fate, and Torchlight, which won the Game Developers Choice Award for Best Debut of 2009.

Torchlight II is richly textured with our unique art style, drawing from traditional animation influences and expanding on the whimsical and quirky world captured in the original Torchlight. We aim for that broad appeal thats appropriate for older kids, but is really intended for the kid in every adult.

CO-OP ACTION

The most exciting new feature of Torchlight II is the multiplayer element. Play with your friends, and use the free peer-to-peer matchmaking service to meet new players of a similar level and interest. Together players will discover expansive randomized outdoor areas and deep ominous caverns; random instanced and persistent dungeons, a huge variety of all new monsters and villains, endless variations of loot to find, and quests to complete. Players journey through the perilous Overworld, enjoying all new weather features, time of day events, and a rich and cunning story to drive gameplay.

See link for more information.

Last edited:
I played a bit of Torchlight. It's got a lot of really good ideas in it, and the graphics engine is pretty sweet. I don't really have the time to invest in a game like this anymore, but in general the multiplayer mode sounds like a good enhancement to what was already a good game for dungeon crawler fans who love the Diablo and Dungeon Siege series.

I played a bit of Torchlight. It's got a lot of really good ideas in it, and the graphics engine is pretty sweet. I don't really have the time to invest in a game like this anymore, but in general the multiplayer mode sounds like a good enhancement to what was already a good game for dungeon crawler fans who love the Diablo and Dungeon Siege series.

I am pretty sure I beat torchlight 1 in like six hours. It wasn't that long. Granted I just did the main quest line.

Who's going to want to play Torchlight 2 when D3 is right around the corner...and by right around the corner I mean 7 years from now.

I am pretty sure I beat torchlight 1 in like six hours. It wasn't that long. Granted I just did the main quest line.

I didn't find the game compelling enough to play it that long, so while I appreciated what they did from a technical and artistic standpoint, it never really hooked me. I think a game like that also requires you to play on the higher difficulty modes -- it was so simple, that in the hour or 2 that I played, I don't think there was a single moment where my toon seemed to be in jeopardy of dying. If you could beat the entire game in 6 hours that's kind of an indictment I guess, but multiplayer is suppossed to provide replayability, or at very least, add in the interest factor of playing it again with a friend.

If they can release it well before D3 comes out, it will be a massive success. If they release after, it will be a massive failure.

I didn't find the game compelling enough to play it that long, so while I appreciated what they did from a technical and artistic standpoint, it never really hooked me. I think a game like that also requires you to play on the higher difficulty modes -- it was so simple, that in the hour or 2 that I played, I don't think there was a single moment where my toon seemed to be in jeopardy of dying. If you could beat the entire game in 6 hours that's kind of an indictment I guess, but multiplayer is suppossed to provide replayability, or at very least, add in the interest factor of playing it again with a friend.

I agree. I remembered thinking wow, my char I think died three times in the whole game. Health potion spam.

Who's going to want to play Torchlight 2 when D3 is right around the corner...and by right around the corner I mean 7 years from now.

Yeah, I'm starting to think that D3 is just an inside joke that Blizzard has going, so they can laugh about the corporate suits behind their back:

"Haha yeah we had another meeting on the release date for D3! I just told em: it's our usual timeframe -- When it's READY."

Then they all throw the middle finger and go back to whatever they are actually working on.

I'll probably get it. I pirated Torchlight the first time around and loved it enough to buy it during a steam sale. I am looking forward to this one having co-op but am still wondering when their MMO connected to Torchlight will be announced.

too many minibosses in torchlight, it got just silly, and it was totally spamhappy and your toon got pretty much untouchable too fast. But for a few bucks it was a great 2-3 day distraction.

yep, was a good 10 dollars spent. i think the only game that i've ever regretted buying was The Ship on steam.

Sigh, I think I may have to install it just to get my moneys worth

too many minibosses in torchlight, it got just silly, and it was totally spamhappy and your toon got pretty much untouchable too fast. But for a few bucks it was a great 2-3 day distraction.

agreed. For only $10, torchlight was worth the $

Looks like Torchlight was a test to see how well thier game was recieved. Considering the low cost to purchase, people didn't mind paying to play the small dungeon crawler for a few hours.

Which really isn't a bad way to make games these days. L4D kind of had that feel too. Come up with an interesting concept, spend a lot of time making a smaller game with a lot of detail to it, and sell it as an indy type game. Low cost, and 10ish hours of gameplay. If it's a huge success, then go ahead with a full blown production on a sequel, including the community's feedback from the first title.

edit:

using that game development model, I'd like to see a follow up to Trine, and Alien Swarm too

Last edited:
Torchlight was def. worth the money. I still haven't beaten, but when I'm looking for an SCII break, it makes a great one for a few hours. I'll probably pick up the Torchlight II.

Also, I would love to see a sequel to Alien Swarm. I might have to play that later tonight for a bit.

Back