today I stop working my nice clean IT job and become a dirty...

Oh yeah, I quit an hour ago. :)

Big changes, coming up! Its gonna be one fucking hell of an adjustment going from 6 hour days and waking up at 10:30am to getting up at 6am and coming back home at night time... but Im prepared.

I went from a job I could fuck around at most of the time making decent money, but had shit projects, an asshole moron of a manager and no respect, or the raises that go with it.

To a 45% raise in income, intelligent manager, and 1/3 of the responsibilities. Downsides, longer drive to work, gotta be there the whole time, and every other coworker is female. Basically as long as I dont have an opinion, everything is ok.

ps. If you go the "intern first, get job offer at company" route, get out of said company as soon as you can after getting the experience you need. You will always be intern boy no matter how much you do or know or are responsible for. Or how long youve been a full time employee.

welcome!

now its time for you to get your general contractors license and some construction management courses to help you along.

you can never have too many certifications and licenses in this business. also, you really should consider getting your real estate license - something i am not sure you need in Canada, but it can really come in handy.

I work in the construction field after years of piloting a desk (I still have a desk etc, but I am in the field more often than not). I really like it and I have a lot of autonomy.

I envy you am. Good luck in the new digs.

I'm still mired in lower-tier IT, and it sucks. I need an out but don't have much of a backup plan. My background is in electronics, but I don't want to make $10/hr putting together circuit boards or working in a plant. : \

I make decent money, but it's a dead-end; I know I'll never go anywhere since the idiots generally rise to the top and I'd like to someday actually enjoy what I do.

What's it take to go into nursing/radiology?

I subcontract, and if you already have the proper equipment at hand, its a very lucrative job. The better you get at operating or working with machines, the more cash you will bring in, and the more work you will get done per hour. The only down side is that you have to be on your toes or you risk getting crushed/cut/etc.

Find a good school with the right courses(community college will do, at least in NoVA). Radiology is a good field and there are never enough nurses.

So basically I'm screwed, being married with two kids and a wife who works nights. :)

I subcontract, and if you already have the proper equipment at hand, its a very lucrative job. The better you get at operating or working with machines, the more cash you will bring in, and the more work you will get done per hour. The only down side is that you have to be on your toes or you risk getting crushed/cut/etc.

The company started off with a 'construction' label but really they (we) only do interior finishing now, so its just fine precision wood-working and installations in office buildings, stores, condo buildings, schools, etc. No heavy machinery, no really heavy lifting, very little working outdoors... its just long hours and dusty, pretty much.

ah, carpentry. You 'think' there is no heavy lifting :) Just wait till you have to haul a chop saw and planer all around heh.
Good luck to you in your new field.

I've helped my dad and brother on some jobs in the past so I know what I'm in for and I don't mind a single bit. Again, the plan is to only really be doing the actual 'dirty' work for 6 months to a year tops... and in that time move the company up to another level of organization and size where my dad and myself can take more 'management' roles rather than working on-site as well.

Back