Toby Gerhart (draft predictions)

ferret

Veteran XX
My guess is he will go somewhere in the 3rd round, with Spiller and Best being the cream of the crop. But some at the water cooler think he will not get drafted because he's white.

They may have a point. It almost seems taboo these days to draft a white running back. A few years back St. Louis caught some slack from the press (Stuart Scott, Kornheiser) for starting a white running back. I found it ironic that if the same tone was taken about starting a black quarterback, heads would roll.

He runs a 4.5 40, which isn't great, but its not all that slow for someone his size, he wants to get in the 4.4's at the combine, but also keep in mind he runs strong and has good balance and knows how to break tackles.

The big positive for him are dominating performances against top teams. He's had great games against Oregon and USC, which are close barometers to the NFL. A guy rushing 1,000 yards in the SEC, Big-10, or Pac-10 holds more weight than someone with the same numbers in the ACC, WAC, or other leagues.

His size also translates him to be a fullback as well, which would be an insult.

While I don't think he's the next AP or Faulk, I do think he's a serviceable RB, and reminds me alot of Frank Gore.

My guess is he will go somewhere in the 3rd round, with Spiller and Best being the cream of the crop. But some at the water cooler think he will not get drafted because he's white.

They may have a point. It almost seems taboo these days to draft a white running back. A few years back St. Louis caught some slack from the press (Stuart Scott, Kornheiser) for starting a white running back. I found it ironic that if the same tone was taken about starting a black quarterback, heads would roll.

He runs a 4.5 40, which isn't great, but its not all that slow for someone his size, he wants to get in the 4.4's at the combine, but also keep in mind he runs strong and has good balance and knows how to break tackles.

The big positive for him are dominating performances against top teams. He's had great games against Oregon and USC, which are close barometers to the NFL. A guy rushing 1,000 yards in the SEC, Big-10, or Pac-10 holds more weight than someone with the same numbers in the ACC, WAC, or other leagues.

His size also translates him to be a fullback as well, which would be an insult.

While I don't think he's the next AP or Faulk, I do think he's a serviceable RB, and reminds me alot of Frank Gore.

breaking pac 10 tackles != breaking nfl tackles and every linebacker in the league will be faster than him

I mean jacob hesters legs helped lsu win a national championship

now hes a white fullback with less than 40 NFL carries in 2 seasons

He can't possibly be an NFL caliber running back because he has white genes.

There are no slaves in his family tree

he can at least carry the ball as often as mike alstott did back in the day with tampa. the best part about gerhart is that he always falls forward. he can definitely split carries with a faster/shiftier runner or be featured as necessary.

he's a 3rd or 4th rounder.

and LSU didn't win a national title while russell was the QB

I still can't see him falling out of the first round, unless some health concerns surface or something.

I miss Mike Alstott.....that motherfucker was scary

MikeAlstottOnTheFieldDuring2007TrainingCamp.JPG

I still can't see him falling out of the first round, unless some health concerns surface or something.

You can't look at the NFL Draft by talent, but supply / demand. There are:

Quarterbacks
RB/FB's
Safeties
Cornerbacks
ILB
OLB
Offensive Linemen
Defensive Linemen
WR's
Kickers
Punters

So even if you are the 3rd best at one position, you may not get in the 1st round. The beauty of the NFL draft is teams can get talent deep into the 3rd round or the best at a position (Revis comes to mind) in the mid or high 1st Round.

A guy rushing 1,000 yards in the SEC, Big-10, or Pac-10 holds more weight than someone with the same numbers in the ACC, WAC, or other leagues.

I don't know about that

ACC offenses are fairly pathetic so putting up good numbers against the defenses that have a bunch of first and second round picks tends to be smiled on.

iirc the ACC has had the most first round selections [30] since 2006 (when it expanded to it's current size) with the SEC coming second at 29.

gerhart's position probably depends on how well he does in the Combine, he's jumped out ahead this year but could get some push-back

This year may have a huge amount of underclassmen due to the cba coming up. I'd say Gerhart's biggest issue will be if Dwyer comes out and if he can't beat Dwyer's combine numbers.

Last edited:
I don't know about that

ACC offenses are fairly pathetic so putting up good numbers against the defenses that have a bunch of first and second round picks tends to be smiled on.

iirc the ACC has had the most first round selections [30] since 2006 (when it expanded to it's current size) with the SEC coming second at 29.

gerhart's position probably depends on how well he does in the Combine, he's jumped out ahead this year but could get some push-back

This year may have a huge amount of underclassmen due to the cba coming up. I'd say Gerhart's biggest issue will be if Dwyer comes out and if he can't beat Dwyer's combine numbers.

Wow, I saw that and I'm pretty surprised. Looking at the out of conference games and records you wouldn't think it was the case.

Wow, I saw that and I'm pretty surprised. Looking at the out of conference games and records you wouldn't think it was the case.

Individual talent doesn't always reflect a team's ability to win games. Look at CJ Spiller.

i think he goes on to have a really good combine. if he gets his 40 to like 4.4 or close to it, a team will take him late in the 1st round

Back