Tips on saving MPG

MasterAce

Veteran X
I just recently acquired a 08 mazda3 and even though its good on MPG, im looking for ways to improve it even more. So far i've found supposed chips that improve air/fuel timing but it seemed iffy at the least. Anyone have an ideas on how to save on MPG. Anyone currently trying things that are really working?

I just recently acquired a 08 mazda3 and even though its good on MPG, im looking for ways to improve it even more. So far i've found supposed chips that improve air/fuel timing but it seemed iffy at the least. Anyone have an ideas on how to save on MPG. Anyone currently trying things that are really working?

I'll direct you to the Mythbusters episode about MPG extensions.

Spoiler

stick or auto?

either way, cold air intake and exhaust help a little, dunno if its enough to make it worth it to you.

I'm gonna get called a ricer for suggesting that, aren't I? 

Drive at a lower rpm
check your tire pressure
make sure your fuel and air filters are clean
don't drive when it's cold
don't drive over 70 kph

-Don't overuse your brakes
-Don't make racecar starts/stops
-Don't idle for more than 20 secs, at that point it would be better to turn off car (unless you are at a stoplight or something)
-Don't speed
-Coast to red lights unless there is a good chance of it turning soon
-Go around stopped/speeding up semis
-Don't overuse air condition unless going highway speed. Less than that windows down is better.

yeah, not flooring it at stop lights is always a good practice. i'll never understand people who do that.

It might sound obvious, but don't push the gas pedal as much.

For example, instead of flooring up a big hill on the highway to maintain your speed, accelerate slightly before the hill and let your momentum move you up. You'll end up sacrificing some speed, but you can re-accelerate later when the road has leveled out. (For the love of God please move over to the right.)

Ditto at stop signs, and traffic lights. There is no need to get up to speed in a split second. Smoother and slower accelerating will save you a lot more gas then you realize.

Same thing when driving in the city. Try to coast as much as possible behind the car infront of you. Avoid riding his bumper, forcing you to brake and accelerate constantly.

Back