Those Tablet PC's

Clever

Veteran X
In my lectures this year I have seen a few people using those laptops that have the screens that you can spin around and write/drawn on for note taking. I was wondering if anyone knew whether this technology is any good at this point in time.

Seems like it would be damn handy to have all my notes on my pc instead of having 5 different notebooks. I am sorta looking for a nice portable laptop and these fit that bill too.

Just trying to decide if it is worth investing in the tech now or if it still needs a few years to mature for it to actually be useful.

Data, do you have one?

I have one and especially for academic use it rocks. I can record lectures and have the audio sync up to the notes I'm taking, so if I don't quite get what a professor says while I'm scrawling it down, I can click the little speaker icon (Microsoft OneNote) next to the line I wrote and it will replay what was being said at that time.

Here are my two beefs with them: they are still quite expensive and there aren't a ton of applications out that support tablet use. But what do you want to do with it? Very likely you can do just fine with what's out there.

I've been a tablet owner for about two years.

I used a "tablet" Panasonic Toughbook (convertible) just yesterday. While it was an incredible system, I was extremely unimpressed with its tablet features. Most of my gripes with current tablet PCs are with the software.

My tablet is my most important machine, business-wise. I use it in 50% tablet and 50% laptop "mode." I'm a computer consultant; I take notes on all my visits and it indexes my handwriting into real text so I can find instances of previous problems easily.

There are two reasons why you haven't seen more of them:

1) Still awfully expensive
2) Poorly marketed, like Tribes

The last one blows my mind as this is supposedly BillG's pet project. :shrug:

Afterimage, do you have any links to articles rating the various ones available? Sorta a head to head.

Or reccomendations about which ones are "the best" would be good too.

they are sweet, especially for notes and school shit. i woulda hopped on the dell 800 off deal, but dell doesn't make a tablet. so i think im going to go with the gateway.

I have a Toshiba M200. The resolution rocks, graphics adapter is great for a Tablet and the speed, last I checked, was still bar none (or pretty close -- 1.5GHz). Actually I'm pretty sure they've one or two tablets out there that are faster but considering I bought it a year ago that's decent longevity for a computer.

When I finally get a laptop, its going to be a convertible tablet. The dork I keep locked up in the center of my brain has been screaming about these things and pie for years.

Ya, I would probably go w/ a convertible too. Seems like the best bet looks like one from Compaq or Toshiba. Alot of the articles on tablepctalk seem to be from mid-2004 so I have no clue about the new generation.

Funny how the people who hate it are people who haven't used it for any length of time and offer no specifics about what they didn't like.

I own one. It wasn't very expensive, and it works very well for me. I take notes in class on it, without disturbing everyone around me. I can draw diagrams within all my notes, and, if need be, convert my handwriting to text later on. I back up all my notes so that they can never be lost. The tablet pc is light enough to fit in my backpack and take with me wherever I want, including the library, and its weight is never bothersome.

Back