this is a stealth bomber with camo paint

Barbarian said:
You're right, they did the black for night flying. The F-22 has grey RAM paint. Grey blends in during the day better with the sky.

From what I read, the choice of black paint for the F-117A / B-2 (B-2 is dark grey I think) was "Real pilots don't fly in pastel planes".

Wait until the navy needs a plane with RAM paint

kekekeke :closet:

Thats just one of the flying wing concepts the nazi's came up with, 1 produced and flied, 2 found on assembly i believe.. was a Horten HO229-A1 "GOTHA".

The ME163 series, and the X-models ME-263's were other, albeit tiny, flying wings.

But, a true funky flying wing, the WIN goes to the Russians for the SACK AS6 V.1..

Wheat-Thin said:
this is quote a cool tidbit of information..

the flight control computer on the b-2.. makes adjustments every .2 seconds... to make up for the instability of the aircraft design(like you mentioned)

the B-2 is awesome - if you all want to learn a lot about it, pick this up: http://www.airtimepublishing.com/template.phtml?header=specials

they don't publish this journal anymore, but this is quite a deal at $6.95...

International Airpower Review is the balls. I also subscribe to Flightpath...

Also, all of Airtime's hardcover books are fantastic, especially if you like cutaway drawings...

xpdnc said:
btw, it's in a mod for 1940-era bf1942 and jessica simpson claims that it isn't a stealth bomber
there was a flying wing bomber that Nazis where working on

never flew more then a couple times before the end of the war tho

but that also looks like a b2

but if you look at pics of both they do look similar.

xb35.jpg

Germany owned. Ell Oh Ell.

xpdnc said:
actually it's a Horten HO229, but it never saw combat

(it's still a stealth bomber with camo paint)

Calling it a 'stealth bomber' is a bit of a misnomer. It had no radar absorbing materials, and didn't use non-radar reflective composite materials to further mask its radar signature.

Still, even with the limited 1940's era radar, the basic shape that is the flying wing is inherently less radar reflective, which you could argue makes it stealth...

Teflonatron said:
Calling it a 'stealth bomber' is a bit of a misnomer. It had no radar absorbing materials, and didn't use non-radar reflective composite materials to further mask its radar signature.

Still, even with the limited 1940's era radar, the basic shape that is the flying wing is inherently less radar reflective, which you could argue makes it stealth...

Bingo. I also beleive that the orginal (prop version makes sense) was largely made of wood, i.e. inherently more stealthy than the steel behemoths of the day (and today).

Flunky said:
the stealth bomber is painted black for two reasons:

1. RAM or Radar Absorbent Material is black

2. It flies primarily at night

now, I am not sure if they just made the RAM black because it suited the mission profile of stealth aircraft best, or if it's some physical property that it has, but whatever. And flying wings have been around since ww2, yes. They proved impractical at first due to their inherent instability. Modern computerized flight controls allow inherently unstable designs to become safe. Certain designs allow for incredible performance (agility, efficiency, etc. - the flying wing is one such design), but those designs were not previously controllable by humans without computer assistance.

Yay, somebody who knows what they are talking about! :D

btw, the inherent instability mentioned above has to do with what would traditionaly be rudder stability, as the flying wings lacked a clasical rudder control. To make up for the lack of a rudder, they used modified alierons which opened both above and below the end of the main wing, inducing drag on the wingtip, thereby rotating the planes direction of travel.

this still didn't work too well with manual controls, and did not allow the bombing sight equipment of the day to meet required accuracy tolerances, thereby ruling it out as the next american bomber of the day.

Teflonatron said:
Yay, somebody who knows what they are talking about! :D

btw, the inherent instability mentioned above has to do with what would traditionaly be rudder stability, as the flying wings lacked a clasical rudder control. To make up for the lack of a rudder, they used modified alierons which opened both above and below the end of the main wing, inducing drag on the wingtip, thereby rotating the planes direction of travel.

this still didn't work too well with manual controls, and did not allow the bombing sight equipment of the day to meet required accuracy tolerances, thereby ruling it out as the next american bomber of the day.

I am and always have been fascinated by planes. I wanted to be a Navy pilot so bad when I was a kid, but my eyesight is not up to par. I want to get my pilot's license someday though. I am actually starting to think about an airline career, but it's so hard to get ahead in that industry. I'd have to start out in the ultra competitive regional route system and they pay you almost nothing (like 20k per year or less to start). Should have done this when I graduated from college, oh well...

Kurayami said:
xb35.jpg

Germany owned. Ell Oh Ell.

I'm not exactly sure what your quote above is supposed to mean, but the picture you posted is of the Northrop flying wing design. (i.e., it's an American plane... ;))

Flunky said:
I am and always have been fascinated by planes. I wanted to be a Navy pilot so bad when I was a kid, but my eyesight is not up to par. I want to get my pilot's license someday though. I am actually starting to think about an airline career, but it's so hard to get ahead in that industry. I'd have to start out in the ultra competitive regional route system and they pay you almost nothing (like 20k per year or less to start). Should have done this when I graduated from college, oh well...

I've always wanted to be a pilot myself. I have so many books on planes, and have watched way to much "Wing's" on the Discovery channel. When I was younger, I'd even make crazy plane designs with lego's. :D

I went through ground school for my private pilot's license, but never took the flight training (reason = *money*). Maybe I should dump working in the computer industry and start up a small, one plane carribean flight service... :D

Wheat-Thin said:
sad thing about that idea.. is that you would probably make more than you would in the computer industry :eek:

Not only that, but imagine the quality of life difference being able to live in the carribean.... ;)

hrm.. you said carribean ?

how bouts.. um.. any one with hot drunk bitches, white sandy beaches and lots of free alcohol.

Teflonatron said:
I'm not exactly sure what your quote above is supposed to mean, but the picture you posted is of the Northrop flying wing design. (i.e., it's an American plane... ;))
Well, the fact that it's an XB-35 and has US markings kind of gives away the fact that it's an American plane.

Onnotangu said:
Yo kura. u see that lil star on the plane. that means ALLIED.

:domotwak:
I'm afraid that means "American," not "Allied." None of the other allies (save the Russians) used stars : they used roundels, as do most countries today. That clearly isn't a red star, so you should be able to tell that it's an American plane even without knowing what it is.

Back