This has to be illegal [LANDLORDS]

Somewhat similar situation I had, years ago, was with our upstairs apartment in a two story, 8 unit building. I discovered that the heat/AC vents in the common entry areas/stairwells were connected to the nearest UPSTAIRS unit ductwork. So, since we paid heat and electric, when our heat or AC turn on we (the upstairs units) were the ones heating/cooling the common areas.

Of course, landlord would do nothing, so I merely removed the outside vent and installed my own sheet metal to close the vent from my ductwork. A little self help can go along way...

Ok. i just moved into a new place in the basement unit (lol basement, it's only 2 feet under ground). It's a house with 4 apartments total.

ok so here's the problem. There is a common area behind our apartment (we have a door to it) that has the washer/dryer and a bunch of space for storage. I finally went back to the breaker box today because I didn't know if our outside light was burnt out or if it was switched to off. Anyway, i noticed that there wasn't a seperate box for the common area, just 4 boxes, one for each apt. So i switched the main breaker for our apartment. What do you know, the light in the common area went off.

Basically they are scamming us into paying the energy bill for the common/storage/washer and dryer area. I also noticed 2 space heaters by the water pipes, which means those fuckers will be on ALL WINTER.

i called the electric company, they can't do anything. I'm not on the lease yet so I can't call the landlord for anything, my gf has to unfortunately.

what say you tribal lawyers?

It is not illegal for a number of reasons not the least of which being that you do not live in what would technically be zoned as commercial.

Ok. i just moved into a new place in the basement unit (lol basement, it's only 2 feet under ground). It's a house with 4 apartments total.

ok so here's the problem. There is a common area behind our apartment (we have a door to it) that has the washer/dryer and a bunch of space for storage. I finally went back to the breaker box today because I didn't know if our outside light was burnt out or if it was switched to off. Anyway, i noticed that there wasn't a seperate box for the common area, just 4 boxes, one for each apt. So i switched the main breaker for our apartment. What do you know, the light in the common area went off.

Basically they are scamming us into paying the energy bill for the common/storage/washer and dryer area. I also noticed 2 space heaters by the water pipes, which means those fuckers will be on ALL WINTER.

i called the electric company, they can't do anything. I'm not on the lease yet so I can't call the landlord for anything, my gf has to unfortunately.

what say you tribal lawyers?

jesus... I'd get wire cutters and clip the plugs off all the appliances and and then do it again every time I saw it replace/repaired.

I doubt the landlord is really trying to screw one of their four tenants over. Likely this is just the way the house was built and when he converted it to 4 apartment areas, it would have cost a shitton to re-wire.

It's definitely shady of him not to tell you this, but give the landlord a call and tell him what's up. Say you want him to refund you each month for the common area electricity bill or you'll move out. Even if it is technically illegal for him to do this, what are you going to do...sue him? If he's a dick about it, just report him to the relevant agency and move the fuck out.

I guess my thoughts on the matter would really depend on if the washer and dryer in the common area were coin-op. If the bastard is collecting money from the machines and screwing me with the bill. I'd be pissed.

A friend of mine works in a restaurant (owned by his dad) and suspects that the landlord is using his hot water. He already got a letter from the landlord that says "that an investigation by an electrician to see if there was another reason for the high power usage proved that the restaurant is the only one accessing that hot water tank" or some other bullshit. Is there any way to confirm that the restaurant is the only tenant accessing the hot water tank?

I guess my thoughts on the matter would really depend on if the washer and dryer in the common area were coin-op. If the bastard is collecting money from the machines and screwing me with the bill. I'd be pissed.

they are coinop.

and some of you need to read the other things ive said in this thread. They knew about the problem because the previous tenant complained too.

I asked my brother in law's best friend who is a lawyer. He said yes it is illegal. My gf's coworker's parents own some high end apts in the area. They also said it's illegal.

anyway the problem is fixed and they're taking over the electricity bill.

I'm an electrical engineer and I have added 3 breaker zones to my new house which added 6 new outlets and moved 3 others. I did all of the wire pulls and drywall that accompanied that project.

Also wired the entire outbuilding we had that new drop installed on as well. From panel to outlets and everything in between. Granted there was no drywall to deal with here.

seriously telos, don't read electrical simplified and come here pretending to be an engineer or electrician.

Back