this case confuses me

Sick Connecticut Teen Justina Pelletier Will Go Into Foster Care - ABC News

Lou and Linda Pelletier, of West Hartford, Conn., have been fighting for their daughter who they say has mitochondrial disease, a rare genetic disorder with physical symptoms that can affect every part of the body.

Boston Children's Hospital reported the Pelletier's to the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families for suspected child abuse in February 2013. She was confined to its psychiatric unit for treatment for a somatoform disorder for nearly a year before being moved to a residential facility for mental health treatment, according to the family.

"We are just so stressed out," Lou Pelletier, a financial planner and father of three daughters, told ABCNews.com today. "What they put us through yesterday crossed so many lines. My wife has been at the breaking point."

Family court Judge Joseph Johnston has sent Justina to Shared Living Collaborative in Merrimac, a non-medical facility run by the state, according to the family.

The family said they had brought in additional First Amendment lawyers who are opposing a gag order placed on all involved in the case and say they hope to bring Justina home. The custody case has dragged on since last fall and was continued until March 24.

"The court really didn't accomplish much," said Mathew Staves of Liberty Counsel , a conservative organization that advocates for "religious freedom, the sanctity of life, and the family,” who was at hearing.

"She is not doing very well," said Staves. "Linda saw her on Friday … and there were five DCF workers present. There is no private time and she is not allowed to take cell phone photos of her daughter. ... She had red marks on her abdomen and she was very week. It's now the third semester of school since February 2013, and they haven't given her any education, she can't attend church. It's unbelievable."

"If she had somatoform disorder, then her condition would have improved," he said. "She's not gotten any better."

Pelletier had already broken an Essex County family court judge's gag order with ABCNews.com earlier this month, saying, "I have got to save my daughter's life."

Justina was a seemingly healthy teenager performing jumps and spirals at a skating show, then six weeks later, on Feb. 10, 2013, she was in the emergency room at Children's Hospital in Boston after a severe bout with the flu, refusing to eat and barely able to walk, according to her family.

A team of doctors at Boston Children's said her symptoms were psychosomatic, according to the family. The hospital then filed a complaint with the Massachusetts Department of Children and Families, as required by law, because they suspected the parents of child abuse for subjecting their daughter to invasive medical treatments and denying her mental health therapy.

cliffs- they took this girl (but not the other kids) from her family for suspected abuse and believe her pain is simply psychological. she was stuck in a limbo of medical care and isolated from fam for a year. whole thing is fucking weird

apparently easy to lose ur children in a boston hospital-
http://www.theblaze.com/stories/201...nst-parents-will-accused-of-having-a-history/

Last edited:
well I do

how ridiculous is it the state can take your child and keep them locked in a mental facility for a year

where is the due process

o'connor v. donaldson case ruled you can't lock up a person just because they're mentally ill if they're not a danger to themself

this isn't soviet russia

@cladius this case is ofn figured u all knew it

uhh you realize she wasn't kept from her parents because of a possible psychiatric disorder, right?
I cited that case because it involves involuntary confinement

she was involuntarily confined

because one hospital disagreed with her standing diagnosis and decided to issue their own

her mitochondrial disease dx was issued by a team at tufts not some hokey alternative voodoo doctor

and her parents treating her for that was seen as overmedicating/ child abuse

yes i m mad

alex-trebek-jeopardy-tell-me-something-interesting-or-else.jpg

I cited that case because it involves involuntary confinement

she was involuntarily confined

because one hospital disagreed with her standing diagnosis and decided to issue their own

her mitochondrial disease dx was issued by a team at tufts not some hokey alternative voodoo doctor

and her parents treating her for that was seen as overmedicating/ child abuse

yes i m mad

why do you think that the children's hospital is willing to put up with all sorts of lawsuits and potential abuse if they did not think that they were doing the right thing? it seems to me that if there were any doubt or wiggle room in the diagnosis, that they would back off.

is there some angle i am missing here?

why do you think that the children's hospital is willing to put up with all sorts of lawsuits and potential abuse if they did not think that they were doing the right thing? it seems to me that if there were any doubt or wiggle room in the diagnosis, that they would back off.

is there some angle i am missing here?
this disease is vague and ill characterized

aren't the parents allowed to get other diagnoses

this seems very legally gray

the police state overreaching their boundaries

woteva

Last edited:
no....im more worried about acting like an asshole to someone trying to say something.

it is the engine that drives this forum now

agreeing with you will not stop me from being a prick

of course i am worried about that, but it seems to me that the media attention and subsequent leverage presented by public outrage would provide more than enough disincentive for some machiavellian administrator to just keep taking insurance money to treat a rare genetic disorder instead of imprisoning a child.

all of this is easy to argue when the full facts are not in evidence. we do not have an accurate measurement of the threat/security trade-off here, and so it is not possible to yet judge.

of course i am worried about that, but it seems to me that the media attention and subsequent leverage presented by public outrage would provide more than enough disincentive for some machiavellian administrator to just keep taking insurance money to treat a rare genetic disorder instead of imprisoning a child.

all of this is easy to argue when the full facts are not in evidence. we do not have an accurate measurement of the threat/security trade-off here, and so it is not possible to yet judge.
no the machiavellian administrator rejected the rare genetic disorder diagnosis

said the kid has a mental illness wherein pain in the body is all psychological

and not caused by the genetic disorder

nor will we ever get it.....because nobody gives a shit.

those types of metrics are so subjective, so inconclusive, that the kid could be put away for a century before anyone can begin to prove anything.

but did you hear what ted nuggent said about Obama?

OMG......top story on at least half the news website right now.

it's totally a big fucking deal.

Back