Thinking About Joining the Military...Looking for Suggestions

Ripper

Contributor
Veteran X
Ok here's where I'm at. I'm about to graduate college with a bachelors degree in criminal justice. I eventually want to be a police officer and being a veteran helps you a lot in getting a job. You get veterans preference and 10 points on the civil service examine.

I'll be honest, the only reason i'm thinking about doing this is for the benifits. I love my country and all but i'm not in any hurry to go over to Iraq and get shot up over something i don't really care about.

I'm thinking about joining firstly the navy. I like the water, big ships, sailing, traveling. Sounds good.

If not he navy then either the air force or the coast guard. Maybe i could be a MP or something? What do you guys think I should look at... What would provide me the most benifits without having to worry about getting blown up everyday?

Also, will my college degree help me get in and make more money?

You do realize that being a police officer will be putting yourself in harms way every day, right? You may as well get used to it.

Marines.

Seriously if you are about to get a degree then I guess you would want to go to OCS. I'm not sure how the armed forces deals with officers and jobs.

I was enlisted, so I got 3 basic fields to choose from and 3 jobs to choose from there. Of course I got the field I wanted but not the job.

Navy & Air Force are cutting tens of thousands of military.

You picked a bad time.

Become an officer, and you'll make eh money

become enlisted and you'll get shit on

more than likely literally, if you join the navy

Think about this. Do you want to be a paid killer?

Don't blur the lines, if you join the military your job is to kill other people for the benefit of your country. You may be an electrician, welder, truck driver; but at any moment you could be called upon to stick a gun in someones face who may have done nothing to you personally and pull the trigger. That is the job of anyone in the military.

Do not join unless you are willing to accept that responsibility.

Navy or Chair Force. Army or Marines and you'll be a bullet catcher in Iraq.

Become an officer, and you'll make eh money

become enlisted and you'll get shit on

more than likely literally, if you join the navy

Yeah if he joins the Navy as enlisted he has to be a bowswains(however the fuck they spell that god aweful word) mate for 2 years. At least thats how it worked at the turn of the century.

Yeah if he joins the Navy as enlisted he has to be a bowswains(however the fuck they spell that god aweful word) mate for 2 years. At least thats how it worked at the turn of the century.

The turn of which century? Not the last one.

Think about this. Do you want to be a paid killer?

Don't blur the lines, if you join the military your job is to kill other people for the benefit of your country. You may be an electrician, welder, truck driver; but at any moment you could be called upon to stick a gun in someones face who may have done nothing to you personally and pull the trigger. That is the job of anyone in the military.

Do not join unless you are willing to accept that responsibility.
This is somewhat of a misconception. Only certain specialties are given offensive missions. The rest of us are certainly expected to defend ourselves, our positions, and our countrymen, but we don't "pull the trigger" on some unarmed schmuck just because we're in the military.

Unless that unarmed schmuck is a Vietnamese prostitute. I mean why join the military if you can't cap gook hookers?

Unless that unarmed schmuck is a Vietnamese prostitute. I mean why join the military if you can't cap gook hookers?
Right. There's an exception clause in the UCMJ specially for Asian whores.

If you honestly plan on going into law enforcement afterward, I highly suggest you join the Coast Guard.

Back