The sexiest of all routers

captaninsayno

Veteran X
wrt54gl.jpg

The Linksys WRT54GL

I'm moving to a new place in a few weeks. Is there any reason a practical human that uses torrents and otherwise average browsing will need more than this?

I'll hook up some NWS once I'm home from work :psyduck:.

You need a Cisco Aironet 1142 and standalone router. (trust me on this, you will be unhappy with anything less)

wrt54g what now bitches

it's so pimp I [strike]can't run[/strike] don't need aftermarket firmware.

Also, if you'd like to comment. Why do people use third party firmware? I guess i can understand why, but what does the extra customization really allow? Does it significantly improve speeds?

The GL is a ripoff. There are other routers that go on sale for like ~$25 that run DD-WRT/Tomato, cost a lot less, and work fine

is that N? or am i retarded? or both?

Yes, N is better. Get a wireless N router (linksys makes one that looks almost the same). The major difference between G and N is that N uses a third antenna that allows you to catch bounced signals (like signal reflections off walls and stuff) to help increase the reception. Even if you are running on a wireless G network, you will benefit with better reception using a wireless N router.

Also, if you'd like to comment. Why do people use third party firmware? I guess i can understand why, but what does the extra customization really allow? Does it significantly improve speeds?

I run my network unencrypted (but don't broadcast my SSID) just for ease of use. As I'm in a neighborhood with relatively large houses, there aren't really a lot of people in my area who would be trying to steal my megahurtz so I don't care much.

I do, however, care if someone happens to leech my bandwidth (allowed or not allowed) and it hinders my ability to play a game. Whenever I notice slowdowns, I log onto my tomato upgraded router and look at the real time bandwidth stats. From there, I can tell if my internet is just sucking or if someone is downloading torrents when they shouldn't and are fucking up my internets. The default firmware doesn't have that ability.

For apartment living, it's also useful to have tomato's wireless scanning ability. It'll tell you what channels most people are operating on. You could then set your network on the least used channel, hopefully giving you the best reception.

Back