The problem with caster itemization.

bud

Veteran X
Intellect/Spirit vs. Agility/Strength

Intellect - Increases your mana pool, 100 int = 1% chance to crit.

Spirit - Increases your mana regen when not casting a spell.

----------------------------------------

Agility - Increases armor, attack power, dodge, crit%, ranged crit%, am I missing anything?

Strength - Increases damage done at mellee range.

So basically, having good gear as a caster will let you last longer.

Having good gear as mellee will let you last longer, have higher burst damage, higher armor, higher crit, higher dodge.

Enlighten me on how this is fair?

I disagree

Mortal Strike (Rank 4)
30 Rage 5 yd range
Instant 6 sec cooldown
Requires Melee Weapon
A vicious strike that deals weapon damage plus 160 and wounds the target, reducing the effectiveness of any healing by 50% for 10 sec.

Ambush (Rank 6)
60 Energy 5 yd range
Instant
Requires Daggers
Requires Stealth
Ambush the target, causing 250% weapon damage plus 290 to the target. Must be stealthed and behind the target. Requires a dagger in the main hand. Awards 1 combo point.

Melee get some of their damage from their abilites and some from their weapons. Casters get it all from abilities. As weapons improve and your abilities dont the problem arises.

Shoddy said:
Agility doesn't affect attack power for warriors I don't think.

Caster gear also has spell power.

+spell damage is harder to come by, and in some cases you have to compete against healers who foolishly (in my opinion) gather it up because +damage includes healing.

That's from a purely PvE perspective, and PvP as a pure healer. Some items that are +damage are simply too good, even for healers.

bud said:
----------------------------------------

Agility - Increases armor, attack power, dodge, crit%, ranged crit%, am I missing anything?

Strength - Increases damage done at mellee range.

So basically, having good gear as a caster will let you last longer.

Having good gear as mellee will let you last longer, have higher burst damage, higher armor, higher crit, higher dodge.

Enlighten me on how this is fair?

From the rogue perspective.

Any armor increase due to agility is minimal. In the end I am still wearing leather. Any other rogue on me and I am going to take a ton of damage. Warriors can two shot me, and hunters can own me as well. Dodge just means that warriors overpower will come up that much faster.

Higher crit and higher burst damage are basically the same thing. Agi doesn't affect the classes ability for burst DPS, that's more of a talent thing than a stat thing.

Rogues actually get less crit per AGI point than every other class, of course their items have tons of AGI on them. Also we don't get two attack power per point of some stat, like Warriors do with strength. I really wouldn't have a problem with Warriors if expose armor stacked with sunder armor, or removed a certain percentage of armor rather than a set amount. We all know how powerful percent based moves are, look at mortal strike.

Caster things are jacked, but you all had to know that they shifted the focus of mages to AE, and priests/druids/paladins are all support classes and not meant to be insane killing machines.

JohnnyX said:
Caster things are jacked, but you all had to know that they shifted the focus of mages to AE, and priests/druids/paladins are all support classes and not meant to be insane killing machines.

I am not meaning to flame you, in fact I have a 60 Rogue and 60 Priest so I know exactly how you feel.

But the three classes you listed there, priests/druids/paladins are support classes, you are correct. I rolled a Priest, and I will heal, I have no problem with that. But the problem is our survivability. Druids and Paladins have INSANE survivability. Priests have none.

We are expected to heal, but get 2 shotted by any other class if we try to heal. The only thing we can do to have fun is NOT heal, because everyone else won't go after you first. This is why so many priests spec Shadow. But Shadow is weak in that we have no burst DPS, and our itemization does nothing to change that. That was my only point.

But Rogues definetely need some sort of utility buff as well, I'll agree with you there.

Ill agree priests get ravaged in PvP, but that is a class thing. With self buffs they already get armor near rogue value, although their fear can be broken too many ways imo. Paladins are the bitches to kill that can heal, so no one really assist trains on them. Druids are a little easier to take down unless they get away with their shifting shit. Shamans are just fucking annoying in group pvp with all their totem shit.

I dont really know what your suggeting. Do you want to have the survivability of a paladin\druid but maintain your huge healing ability? PvP in this game is fucked to the core. Warriors destroy anything/everything. Priests get 2 shotted. Druids are un CC-able (but usually still manage to suck balls). And the usual speech about Paly/Shaman overpowered crap.

Also, the "good" drops from nef are almost all amazing caster gear, minus the warrior sword. There are some decent-good melee drops, but no really amazing ones you'd expect. I personally want nothing from nef other than my set drop, which seems a bit wrong to me.

Bodom said:
the spell power enchant effects healing. im pretty sure +damage only doesnt effect healing

Most items I see say "increases damage and healing" In fact, I'm not sure I've ever seen a "increases damage by" except for ones that focus on Fire, Frost, etc.. That's not including the pure +healing.

The main issue with caster itemization from a mage/warlock standpoint (i'm a priest) is that in order to get +dmg and melt more faces in PVP (or pve) you sacrifice a ton of stam/int/spr. Most nice +dmg gear has shitty stats and only recently did places such as BWL, Silithus and ZG start adding items with stats + dmg making things atleast slightly better for them.

The good thing about being a priest is we benefit from both stats and +dmg/healing so I'm just as effective wearing a piece of armor with high spr/sta/int as I am wearing say Flarecore Leggings with are +21sta and +43 dmg/healing and no other stats. What I'd lose in +healing by wearing a set item or something else I make up in the 20ish int allowing me to cast another spell to more than make up the small amount of +healing.

Back