The Dark Tower [Stephen King books - not movie]

JudgeU

Veteran XV
So I've always been intrigued by the series. I remember putting it on my list when I heard King say it was his attempt to create a "Middle-Earth." He thought there was no way he could compete with Tolkien with elves and orcs, so he needed to do a fantasy in a new way. I thought that was really interesting and after years and years finally got around to checking it out.

... and I'm having a real difficult time making it through the Gunslinger. I'm about 2/3rds of the way through and don't really care about any characters, I see no real progression in the story or purpose so far... When I continue with the story its a chore to even pick it up.

So, my question is not even really about The Gunslinger, its about the series. Is it worth it? Is the Gunslinger considered the worst in the series? the best? If I don't like the first book, what are my chances of liking the rest? Thanks for any input.

everyone is going to tell you it gets better. it doesn't its literally going to be just diff versions of the same shit over and over as you learn the characters better and hate them more.

I will get massive hate for this. King is over rated AF

I like the series a lot

I strongly dislike the revised edition of book 1, The Gunslinger though

If you can keep on grinding through, you should. Lots of great characters and action, it's a pretty epic series

I can't really comment as I was given the book where they're telling riddles to a train or something as a teenager and that's the only book I read but it was real cool and confusing as fuck

book1 is mediocre. its the price u have 2 pay for probable later enjoyment. cuz mind u, book1 was written like in 79 or 82ish. he wrote the series over a span of 25something yrs. it gets great later on. but if u still dont like the series by book3, ditch it.

Last edited:
I can't really comment as I was given the book where they're telling riddles to a train or something as a teenager and that's the only book I read but it was real cool and confusing as fuck

ja, the trainbook (vol3 think) was great

i read them a long time ago, didn't really care for the series.

IT was my favorite king book, hands down. i read it when i was like 13. that fucking book kept me up at night.

I liked the series but it was definitely a labor of love at times. Song of Susannah...ugh

but I guarantee anyone who has read the series has also immediately youtubed velcro fly

The Stand is great :bigthumb:

I just read The Fireman by Joe Hill (King's son) recently and it was pretty good, and had loads of references to The Stand jammed in

I enjoyed the later books in the series much more than the first one. wizard and glass was probably my fav.

I came to post this. Wizard and Glass, which is basically 100% roland origin story as him as a young kid, is by far the best of the series. They each get better though. Eddie, who you will meet in book 2, goes from being a bitch to a fucking badass. an awesome arc

cover art 4 the stand used 2 scare the shit out of me when i was sat on the naughty chair in front of the cinder block + plywood bookcases my dad set up b/c (((his heritage))) ensured that he would not sell old books nor pay for furniture even tho he was collecting obscene cash @ ford at the time

neway he eventually lvld up and bought a house w/ all kinds of nice bulit-in bookcases but that was after i was old enuff 2 realize that i could just walk away from the naughty chair and he couldn't hit me as long as i was fast enuff 2 stay out of reach :cool:

dood's a zoo nigland yankee and luvs steffen king even tho steffen can't spell "steven" correctly and mr. king by his own admission doesn't come up w/ original content

shit, even his "i don't do original content" statement is flat out ripped off of willie nelson

Last edited:
king is a hack for teens to read but it's still entertaining and i'm def not above it

they all blur together for me at this point but ya the one with Rolands backstory w/Cort/Alain/Cuthbert n shit is the best

also king murdered the guy who hit him with a van and then bought the van :lol:

he planned it for a year and even like, wrote some story about how he was going to kill the guy and make it look like a suicide and then the guy 'comittied suicide' on kings birthday etc

Last edited:
Gunsllinger is like 250 pages.

Are you only reading it while you shit? The fucking book is about (as most king's are) about atmosphere. If you're ingesting that shit in bitch-sized portions, than ya, you ain't getting it.

If you ordered a large meat lovers pizza, fucking eat it. Dont nibble on that shit and bitch that every bite aint getting you the full flavor.

Back