The $1 Brainteaser

-TigerClaw-

Veteran XX
Ok, so I know this is from like 5th grade, but it recently came up in conversation with a friend, so I thought I'd share for glorious TW...

Three men are traveling and decide to stay at an inn for the night. They check in and the clerk tells them that one room will be $30. The three guys say great, "we'll split one room", yadda yadda, and they all chip in $10 apiece and go upstairs.

A little while later, the manager comes around and tells the clerk he neglected to give the guys the special rate that night of only $25; he then takes $5 out of the register and tells the clerk to go up and refund the guys. On his way up, the clerk realizes $5 can't be split evenly three ways, and also miffed they didn't tip him, he pockets $2, then gives each guy $1 back as a refund.

Let's summarize:

-Each guy has now paid $9 for the room. (3 x $9 = $27)
-Clerk pocketed a $2 "tip" for himself ($2)
-Where is the missing fucking dollar?? ($27 + $2 = $29, not $30!!)

;)

..., you are shitting us right?

edit : oh i didnt see the discalimer

Last edited:
Hey, I said it was from like 5th grade...you could have stopped reading right there :p Hell, maybe I even learned it on Sesame Street...by no means did I claim it wasn't OFN ;)

you gtota be a ptrety big fogagt to psot tihs for the millointh tmie

in ohetr nwes the eglisnh lguangae can be raed eevn wtih the lsetters all feckud up

Its all the wording. Really each man did pay 9 dollars x3 = 27 dollars, but that already includes the 2 dollars he pocketed himself, so 25+2dollar tip = 27 dollars and then he gave back the 3 dollars to the guys at a buck each

better?

Uh, never seen this before (honeslty)

Shouldn't it be

10 x 3 = 30 ( total cost spent )
30 - 5 = 25 ( total with 5$ refund )
25 + 3 = 28 ( total after stolen tip )
28 + 2 = 30 ( and here is the total with tip stolen )

they each paid 10 bucks, they get 3 back each, which now means they have paid 27, they only need to pay 25, so there are 2 bucks left over...which the dude takes.

the problem is adding the 2 to the 27, when u should really be subtracting it to get the final total.

some wierd ass drunken broad came up to me and cheater and mael and ballz and slam and asked us this same thing after dinner.

Back