Texas is trying to keep itself retarded

Wowbagger

Veteran X
And probably doing a good job of it. Rewriting the textbooks is a fine start.

Revisionaries - Mariah Blake

Barton and Peter Marshall initially tried to purge the standards of key figures of the civil rights era, such as César Chávez and Thurgood Marshall, though they were forced to back down amid a deafening public uproar. They have since resorted to a more subtle tack; while they concede that people like Martin Luther King Jr. deserve a place in history, they argue that they shouldn’t be given credit for advancing the rights of minorities. As Barton put it, “Only majorities can expand political rights in America’s constitutional society.

McLeroy and company had also hoped to require science textbooks to address the “strengths and weaknesses” of scientific theories, including evolution. Scientists see the phrase, which was first slipped into Texas curriculum standards in the 1980s, as a back door for bringing creationism into science class. But as soon as news broke that the board was considering reviving it, letters began pouring in from scientists around the country, and science professors began turning out en masse to school board hearings. During public testimony, one biologist arrived at the podium in a Victorian-era gown, complete with a flouncy pink bustle, to remind her audience that in the 1800s religious fundamentalists rejected the germ theory of disease; it has since gained near-universal acceptance. All this fuss made the bloc’s allies skittish, and when the matter finally went to the floor last March, it failed by a single vote.

But the struggle did not end there. McLeroy piped up and chided his fellow board members, saying, “Somebody’s gotta stand up to [these] experts!” He and his allies then turned around and put forward a string of amendments that had much the same effect as the “strengths and weaknesses” language. [...] The amendments passed by a wide margin, something McLeroy counts as a coup. “Whoo-eey!” he told me. “We won the Grand Slam, and the Super Bowl, and the World Cup! Our science standards are light years ahead of any other state when it comes to challenging evolution!”

The kicker is that the teachers themselves have been fighting against all of this.
In late 2007, the English language arts writing teams, made up mostly of teachers and curriculum planners, turned in the drafts they had been laboring over for more than two years. The ultraconservatives argued that they were too light on basics like grammar and too heavy on reading comprehension and critical thinking. “This critical-thinking stuff is gobbledygook,” grumbled David Bradley, an insurance salesman with no college degree, who often acts as the faction’s enforcer. At the bloc’s urging, the board threw out the teams’ work and hired an outside consultant to craft new standards from scratch

texas public education is a mess

its a large battleground state as far as textbook standards go and a lot of politicized crap gets in this shit

it would be real depressing if i had kids or gave a shit about kids

texas public education is a mess

its a large battleground state as far as textbook standards go and a lot of politicized crap gets in this shit

it would be real depressing if i had kids or gave a shit about kids

all of this is true

fast forward to 2020:

"Whoo-eey! We won the Grand Slam and the World Cup! Our state is light-years ahead of others in challenging the heliocentric theory! I'ma go back to my trailer and draft up an amendment to challenge this "the Earth is round" gobbledygook."

it makes me lol when ultra conservatives go on and on about sharia law run states and then stuff like this happens :lol:

Newspeak.jpg

I'm looking forward to the 12th edition, aren't you brother?

Back