TechTV Reborn as 'UndoTV'

Dark|Dragon

Veteran X
http://www.wired.com/news/technology/0,71595-0.html

TechTV is back. Sort of.

Two former show hosts at the defunct cable and satellite channel, Chris Pirillo and Leo Laporte, recently floated the idea of a TechTV Reunion that would let alumni of the popular (to geeks anyway) station post new video clips at a centralized location. The idea drew raves on the popular web news site Digg, launched by TechTV alum Kevin Rose.

Now a new website is the wings that would do just that: UndoTV. Pirillo announced late Monday that he has registered UndoTV.com and several other variations as the lynchpin of an experimental show using the web to share video clips produced by the once-thriving TechTV community.

"We're undoing TechTV's untimely and unwarranted demise," Pirillo wrote in an e-mail to Wired News.

Tech publisher Ziff Davis launched TechTV in 1998 as ZDTV, a cable and satellite channel serving up 24 hour programming focused on computers and technology. The channel was acquired by investor Paul Allen's Vulcan Ventures and subsequently picked up by Comcast's games subsidiary G4 before it was shut down in May 2004. The show hosted some of the best-known names in tech journalism, including TWiT (This Week in Tech) podcaster LaPorte, Rose and PC Magazine columnist John C. Dvorak, among many others.

Pirillo and LaPorte hope to attract a sponsor and begin producing original content, but for now will let the site evolve from the ground up. Contributors will keep 100 percent control of the content they provide to the site, Pirillo wrote.

"The most difficult hurdle has already been overcome, in my opinion: we have an audience that is not being served effectively," Pirillo wrote. "Leo and I have identified a potential platform to begin publishing through, but an actual launch date is still in the air."

I hope this turns out good. G4 sucks.

ZDTV was still the best.

We need a Tribalwar TV channel hosted by the people of TW. "Today on TW, we're taking a close look at Durak: Why wasn't he #1 in the douchebag poll? I'm your host, Triple, and this is TW TV"

To be honest, I don't give a damn about the "TechTV community". I watched the channel occasionally, but only because it had technology-related stuff, not because I had some strange fascination with the people on it.

Having a hard-on for Kevin Rose and Leo Laporte doesn't make you an omgsmarttechnouser.

ZDTV was still the best.

We need a Tribalwar TV channel hosted by the people of TW. "Today on TW, we're taking a close look at Durak: Why wasn't he #1 in the douchebag poll? I'm your host, Triple, and this is TW TV"

honest to god akuma would be the best host on TW for that

lgbr you could be a field reporter.

"That's right Mike. they say the bank was robbed. here's the suspect. Sir, do you mind if i hump you?"

and kurayami could be our war correspondent. he could go to iraq and wear a burqa cause he's afraid of being seen.

TechTV was the best technology TV station for normal people. The screensavers was perfect for mom'n'pop. It wasn't so great for college folk or people who were able to 'get' technology, but that wasn't really the intended audience anyway. So when G4 rolled in and remade TechTV shows into hip youngster-oriented tech shows, it flopped.

I liked Leo Laporte, he could explain things in a manner that most people could understand.

I learned alot from that show when I started with computers. I liked how they showed you how to install shit and taught you stuff about computers. G4 sucks cock, I don't wanna know what's her faces favorite movie, I wanna learn about technology

honest to god akuma would be the best host on TW for that

lgbr you could be a field reporter.

"That's right Mike. they say the bank was robbed. here's the suspect. Sir, do you mind if i hump you?"

and kurayami could be our war correspondent. he could go to iraq and wear a burqa cause he's afraid of being seen.
i would definitely like to be involved in the TWTV movement.

Back