[TECH] Removing P4 Retention Brackets?

BigWinky

Veteran XV
Hey, I searched google already and could not come up with any answers, so maybe any of you techies on here could give me an answer to this question.

How exactly am I supposed to remove the retention brackets holding the Heatsink of my Pentium 4, without damaging the Processor itself? I'm guessing its not a matter of brute force, so there must be some trick to getting the 4 clips to disengage. Any help / instructions would be great.

Easy as piss ... simply unflip the levers, then gently pull the "claws" away from the mainboard bracket.

If you cant do it, you are seriously fucked in the head and shouldnt even be attempting it in the first place.

I have the levers flipped, but pulling them away made me think that i was gonna snap the bracket. I was just making sure that its the correct way to go about it before I go apeshit on this thing and start pulling hard on the claws. Thanks

DVADER said:
is it the black plastic one with the claws or the one with two short metal clips with 3 notches?

Claws. I have one corner off already but of course, that only makes the other 3 harder to get off. Am I supposed to do them in sets of 2?

BigWinky said:
Claws. I have one corner off already but of course, that only makes the other 3 harder to get off. Am I supposed to do them in sets of 2?
nah, just pull them away and up, usually when you do the second one it pushes the first back into place. might take a few tries before you get good at it. Use a long, thin, flat-headed screwdriver and it's very easy.

Back