[TECH] New PC Time

Jenocide

Veteran XV
It's that time again, school starting and I need a new gaming computer. Decided to build my own off of newegg.com Tell me what you think:

-Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 540 3.2 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache w/ Hyper Threading Technology - Retail = 290$

-DFI "LANPARTY 925X-T2" 925X Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU -RETAIL 220$ I need to switch this for something cheaper

-Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1600JD, OEM Drive Only = 100$

-Kingston ValueRAM Kit 240-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR2 PC2-4200 - OEM = 320$

-Asus Radeon9800XT = 350$ newegg doesnt seem to have it, I need a cheaper alternative...

-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0244" -OEM = 70$

-Logitech Cordless MX Duo USB/ PS/2 104keys -RETAIL = 70$

-Plantronics DSP-500 PC Headset with Microphone Boom and Digital Signal Processing -RETAIL = 60$

-Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW, Retail = 100$

-RAIDMAX Black Aluminum Gaming Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "668WBP" -RETAIL = 80$

-Floppy etc = 10$

which comes out to 1700$ or so... anyway I can tone it down a bit w/o much performance diff. is 420 watts enuff for this all + oc? any help is appreciated

Are you stuck on Intel?

If so, why?

Also, where are you getting that RAM? Because it looks like you're paying too much.

no, not really, I was gonna go AMD, but most of the online benchmarks put them very close to this intel which is a lot cheaper then an amd fx. you can still oc the intel and it will run games nearly the same

yeah 420 sounds about right, i have a P4 (2.8) running at 3.2ghz right now with 3 hard drives, one optical drive and a 9700 all in wonder and everthing is running smoothly

Jenocide said:
no, not really, I was gonna go AMD, but most of the online benchmarks put them very close to this intel which is a lot cheaper then an amd fx. you can still oc the intel and it will run games nearly the same

If you're not going 64-bit, AMD is 10x cheaper than Intel and I think this makes them > Intel. THe performance is about the same. Also, dont bother with 4200 Ram, because my best guess is you're buying it either for the performance boost (which doesnt exist) or you're buying it for future upgrades, which is stupid because by that time a new type of RAM will be out most likely. Otherwise good.

Have you compared it with the Athlon 64 3200+ and 3400+? When I did the research for my new box about 2 months ago, the 3400+ was second only to the P4 Extreme Edition (at a hefty price tag) and the Athlon FX line. Now that 939-pin is out, you could probably settle into a Via K8T or nForce 3 250GB system for less money and better performance than you would get from that Intel chip.

A lot can change in 2 months, and I honestly haven't looked at the benchmarks on the late-latest CPUs.

don't get the XT, ur throwing away your money, just get pro.

and get corsair xms ram

He's got a point.

nVidia won this round.

... at least until the next major driver revisions are published.

Data said:
He's got a point.

nVidia won this round.

... at least until the next major driver revisions are published.
not really, they only beat the x800 in certain games, and not by a large margin.
and remember the CS:S benchmark, the x800 beats it by 30-65%.

Daedalus6 said:
You're paying waaay to much for that ram.
I think the reason is because he spec'ed PC4200, which would be overkill no matter what board he dropped it in.

Limbo said:
not really, they only beat the x800 in certain games, and not by a large margin.
and remember the CS:S benchmark, the x800 beats it by 30-65%.
I was speaking overall. General consensus seems to be that, right now at least, the nVidia cards are faster than the ATI cards. A win is a win.

:shrug:

It looks like nvidia is cheaper and better, so thats changed. if you want 1gb ram, corsair, u have to pay around 320 still, not gonna get much cheaper. I think I'll stick to intel, just because I'm more used to it, and the ram would have to be buffering and ecc. I think I canget a bit cheaper mobo

I wish I could have the money to build a new gaming rig when school semester starts.

That way I'd use the money to buy my books and pay off some CC debt.

Jenocide said:
It's that time again, school starting and I need a new gaming computer. Decided to build my own off of newegg.com Tell me what you think:

-Intel LGA 775 Pentium 4 540 3.2 GHz, 800MHz FSB, 1MB L2 Cache w/ Hyper Threading Technology - Retail = 290$
Fine if that's what you're looking for. The Athlon64 3200+ is like $220 now though I think.

-DFI "LANPARTY 925X-T2" 925X Chipset Motherboard For Intel LGA 775 CPU -RETAIL 220$ I need to switch this for something cheaper
Umm yeah, that is way too much for a mobo unless you really need the extra crap that comes with it (you don't).

-Western Digital 160GB 7200RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD1600JD, OEM Drive Only = 100$

-Kingston ValueRAM Kit 240-Pin 1GB(512MB x 2) DDR2 PC2-4200 - OEM = 320$
You could buy 1GB of much better PC3200 memory for $250 or less. I'd rather go with the guaranteed low latency memory than risk increasing the memory bus because you don't know what you'll get.

-Asus Radeon9800XT = 350$ newegg doesnt seem to have it, I need a cheaper alternative...
9800XT is an absolute waste of money. Get a 9800 Pro for $190 or get an X800 Pro/6800GT for $330-$350.

-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 PCI Sound Card, Model "SB0244" -OEM = 70$
Unless you have a 7.1 setup, use onboard audio. Unless the 3-4% performance drop is going to kill you. (Or you could spend $30-$40 on an equally good Santa Cruz, Guillemot, or whatever card.)

-Logitech Cordless MX Duo USB/ PS/2 104keys -RETAIL = 70$

-Plantronics DSP-500 PC Headset with Microphone Boom and Digital Signal Processing -RETAIL = 60$

-Plextor 8X DVD-RW/+RW Drive, Model PX-708A/SW, Retail = 100$
NEC's is between $60-$70 and just as good.

-RAIDMAX Black Aluminum Gaming Case with 420W Power Supply, Model "668WBP" -RETAIL = 80$

-Floppy etc = 10$

which comes out to 1700$ or so... anyway I can tone it down a bit w/o much performance diff. is 420 watts enuff for this all + oc? any help is appreciated

OBLIGATORY 1 CHARACTER.

Wow, Ixi.

I think I actually agree with you on something tech-related.

Quick, somebody get a camera...

Back