[Tech Help]Maxtor SATA weirdness

MrMeikel

Veteran X
Just installed a new Maxtor SATA2 160gb drive (Diamondmax 10, can get the link of needed). I've done the whole drive manager - quick format etc.

I was just copying over some files when the drive seemed to stop working... shortly after XP crashed as well - so i rebooted and everything seemed to be fine. It then crashed again some 5ish minutes later, and has since done everytime I have started up the comp. Anyone experienced this before?

Cliffs:

installed new drive
drive works fine for 5 minutes, then "dies" and takes xp with it
will post more information (specs etc) in a sec, but im on the computer that is crashing so I move quickly!

edit#1 - specs: 3800+x2 (am2), 2gb ddr2 6400, 7900GTX, Samsung 200gb SATA (which is fine), SATA optical drive (fine) and maxtor 160gb SATA (which is being rlly rlly gaaay) LINK

Last edited:
SATA2, in my 15+ years of computing tech experience, is the single worst format I have ever seen. Incompatibilities left and right, idiot HD manufacturers (Maxtor is not the only one who fucked up), etc. I'm sure your board supports SATA2, but if it's an Nforce4 that is probably causing some problems. And god only knows what the fix is.

I have a maxtor sata1 drive, and it seems alright...

If you remove the maxtor, does the computer operate alright?

damn i crashed again during my second edit

what is was going to say - the link says diamondmax 17, the harddrive says 10 and everest (and everything else that can tell me its name) says 10 as well.

I just unplugged it from the mb, ill see if I crash (which would be very very bad, as the samsung has been working fine before the new drive).

Didn't know that about maxtor :\ I though they were a decent hdd manu. My mobo is MSI K9N SLI nforce 570 platinum - http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=398862

i guess ill get a refund on the maxtor :(

Yeah, I hate Maxtor. (Let me iterate here that I have never bought a Maxtor as well.) On the other hand. I have an IBM Deskstar HD in my computer, and it has been going strong for over 5 years. And these fucking things are NOTORIOUS for crashing.

I'd go with Seagate or Western Digital if I were you.

did some googling and found that problems have been solved (i guess not all, but from what I can see quite a few) by using the new nForce Drivers... which I am currently downloading.

computer has not crashed yet and the samsung drive has been doing lots of read/write, so it is just the maxtor - although I hope to fix that with new drivers :sunny:

HAY GUYS I'M AN IDIOT FOR HAVING A PRECONCEIVED NOTION WITH NO BASIS IN REALITY.

You didn't stick with the theme so you fail. Fuck off.

And I'm quite sure I have heard many times about Maxtor drives just kicking the bucket. Not like I was going to take any chances.

But I am sure your 15+ years of technical expertise working with computers will put my opinion to shame. So I will just exit the thread quietly now.

Hey guys. I jabbed this knife in my stomach and ever since then it started hurting. What should I do next?

TAKE THE FUCKING KNIFE OUT AND SEE IF THE PAIN SUBSIDES!

Fuck's sake.

Leave the knife IN your stomach! Now that the knife is inside you, it has become a PART of you!

I love hard drive manufacturer arguments.

For every asshole whole think Maxtor sucks there's someone who hates Seagate, and someone who hates Fujitsu, and IBM, and WD, and so on and so on. Maxtor drives have always been reliable for me. We still use Maxtor SCA SCSI drives at work in our servers, and they're rock solid.

Anything with moving parts is prone to failure. Don't think you've uncovered something special when a hard drive fails.

I've had a few maxtor hard drives over the year, and some would crash and crash and crash while the others have been running for a few years.

I've gone to seagate just because Maxtor has screwed me over as far as warrenty is concerned.

Seagate has a 5-year warranty, can't go wrong with that. Even though now they are the same company.

Back