[tech] Hard drive clicking

Theta

Contributor
Veteran X
So I started my computer and one of my HDs starts clicking every second. The BIOS didn't recognize either drive (seagate and WD), and it said HD failure. I restarted the comp and it doesn't click, goes into windows and everything looks fine. Restart again, and everything looks fine.

I did the standard :google: search and it basically said my HD was dieing, backup your shit. BUT, it's not clicking now...Could this just be some random thing that will never happen again, or is one of the drives going to go bye bye soon? I couldn't tell which drive was clicking because I turned it off right away. If it's the seagate (about 3 yrs old), I'm screwed. I just bought the WD drive so it's still on warranty.

Any ideas? :|

deforestkelley.jpg

its dead jim.

yup, dieing hdd, backup now

to further reinforce this go to the manufacturer's website and DL their HDD diagnostic tool to test the drive. It will most definately fail.

yeah it happened to me, with one of the current drives i am using now, i was clicking like 3-4 months ago, and i would totally freeze and lock up, so i started to back everyihtng up as best as i could,then one day it wouldnt reconize the drive, it got powere and everything, it just kept clicking every second or so like you said, i got real pissed at that maxtor POS, so i kicked the case preety hard, and havent had any problems since, maybe there was a peice of dust or something in there that i rattled loose, i dunno

about 1.5 years ago, i did lose a drive to the same symptoms, i couldnt get it to work at all and there were no warning sings, just turned it on one day, and the system didnt reconize it and it just kept clicking... (also a Maxtor POS, got it RMA'd for the one that recently had problems) In short dont buy maxtor

gl

i heard that you can just hit the drive and it may help, try the diag test first tho and backup before you try it though lol

EvilMonkey said:
i heard that you can just hit the drive and it may help, try the diag test first tho and backup before you try it though lol

NO, he needs to move anything he wants elsewhere asap, not start hitting on it.

JuggerNaught said:
in cases involving 1975 colortron tv sets maybe, not hard drives

Actually it worked on old mfm style drives in some cases, the motor mechanism would develope dead spots and hitting the computer caused the platter to move enough for it to spin up.

JuggerNaught said:
in cases involving 1975 colortron tv sets maybe, not hard drives

then explain why mine hasnt given me a problem since...

Sure it dosent make any sense, but who knows like i said there may have been a peice of dust or something in there that i jarred loose,

Dont be an idiot and not try to backup your shit, after you do, give it a few good smacks and see what happens

Dont be so closed minded prick

I'm not being close minded. Im being technically minded. My technical mind tells me that if you slap a close tolerance piece of equipment and by some freak of nature you dont fuck it up, it was luck, not because it was engineered to be slapped on.

This isn't happy days, thats not a jukebox fonzie

Back