[Tech] Graphics card died now onboard NIC not detected

I am at total loss here and was wondering if you could help me out.

My graphics card died today while playing Heroes of Newerth. Total crash and Windows wouldn't load and the bios screen was messed up. Put in a different card and Windows starts up fine but now it says connection not detected for my NIC. I figured the onboard NIC died and just went out and bout a PCI NIC to replace it. I just put it in and Windows 7 can't even install it the new one.

Did something happen when the graphics card died? Is something corrupted I need to fix? I tried rolling back with a system restore but that didn't help.

Specs:
Asus P6T Mobo
i7 920 Bloomfield
XFX GTX 260 - Card that died

Any help would be appreciated.

the entire machine is suspect at this point, multiple simultaneous hardware failure means "something really bad happened"

The BIOS screen was messed up because of the graphics card. It's fine now with the older card in.

well a bios flash might make the pci nic compatible at least. have you also tried pcie slot 2 for your video card?

i actually own pretty much the same system (920, p6t) and have had tons of problems with it not booting up (i have to leave it on all the time bc if it goes down it might be down for a week). after trying pretty much everything i suspect that my pcie slot is defective.

i have the same mobo cpu also and only problems ive had is with multiple monitors going with my (2x)SLI.

sounds like the mobo, along with that the video card did die. when that happens it sometimes fries the mobo slot (pci-e)... but it didnt. Since it didnt go "that" far, i dont see why other integrated devices would have died.

also downclock back to default if you are overclocking.

to be safe, if you still have warranty i would send it back _just in case_ if your mobo completely dies in 2 months b/c at the moment it is "wounded" and on its way to the grave, be sure the warranty doesnt go out between now and then.

maybe your motherboard is the thing that died.
Look for bad capacitors. Peel the case side off and look at them with a flashlight. They are the small can shaped things on the mobo, they should be flat on the top. If they are bulging or burst it's time for a new mobo. I've replaced caps in a mobo, but it's tedious at best, and you need some special equipment or good technique.

Or the power supply. Power supply is the easiest to check after caps, swap it for a known good unit, or take it to a shop and have it checked.. A dying PS can cause a host of screwy errors. I've seen them fail a week out of the box, or years down the road.

i got a PSU tester in my garage i bought like 3 years ago for $20.

but yeh.. maybe the PCI-e power cable from the PSU is the problem. they have adapters from the other power cable types to the pci-e ones u can also use to troubleshoot

well a bios flash might make the pci nic compatible at least. have you also tried pcie slot 2 for your video card?

i actually own pretty much the same system (920, p6t) and have had tons of problems with it not booting up (i have to leave it on all the time bc if it goes down it might be down for a week). after trying pretty much everything i suspect that my pcie slot is defective.
I already talked to XFX and am getting it RMA'd. My system works great besides running games but I'll get a new graphics card soon. I'm wondering when the system locked up after the card died if it killed the drivers or something for the lan card. I tried reinstalling them with no luck.

cant "kill" drivers, its all software. im 99% sure it has to be a hardware problem. :(

u can get a new video card and network card, but those are just bandaids on a potentially worse problem that has evidence to be proven to exist

Back