[Tech] 2500+ with high temps

vortex

Veteran XV
My 2500+ cpu on my GA-7N400L mobo idles at 62° when im in the BIOS. I'm using the default HSF but you can see parts of the copper through the thermal pad. What do you think I should do? Scrape it off and use thermal paste instead?

Hmmm

I'm not real familiar with applying thermal paste, though I can't imagine it to be too difficult.

Get a different heatsink(copper)/fan + arctic silver paste. That CPU runs very hot, mine idles at 49c. You should be able to lower it down to mid 30s w/ just HSF.

Can't always trust the system temps either. They seem fairly accurate but they aren't always properly calibrated either. I would toss some paste on there and see what happens. If the temp does't go down any or only a little bit it could be the HSF/heatsink combo, temp calibration, or the CPU might just be a barn burner. Its up to you too see how far you wanna go. With CPU prices the way they are I don't think I would do much more then toss some paste on it. If the HSF seems ok and it dies, by a new CPU. You start spending big bucks on cooling you might as well buy a new one.

i have a Zalman heatsink and it came with the grease. Put on the grease, put 1 layer so that u cant see the cpu anymore and do the samw with the bottom of the heatsink. Mine idles at 31.

Have you tried a new technique called "licking"
Remove the heatsink, scrape the grease off using a razorblade, and do not touch the cpu copper top with your finger. After removing the paste with a soft cloth, add a rice sized drop of arctic silver to the heatsink, rub it into the heatsink, then wipe off with a cloth. Lick the cpu with your tongue, do not put much saliva on the cpu.

Back