T3: Hooked.

R@ND0M said:
These "cutting" the grapple ideas are stupid.
The more things you add to try and balance it, the more unbalanced it's going to get.
Keep it simple, and it'll be fine.

Agreed. This is why the NFL lasted longer than the XFL.

i like the idea of say you shoot something, you fly past the point of where you shot, the cable goes around multiple corners adjusting you that many times as the cable bends

This would be interesting new feature. As said, when done right this could bring one more dimension to the tribes universe. I rather like the idea that the grapple does not retract or retracts slower (when connected to an object) than it can be applied. And if the line could collide to other objects you could get something like this:

anim.gif

Clearing HoF would also be kinda funny, just shoot the fella (if the shields are down that is) with the hook and diskjump away ;)

The line should/could also be able to break under fire and disking the hook attached to building should/could break the connection / destroy the hook.

You would only have limited number of hooks, so if you miss, tough luck. And when the line is released it retracts to the grapple that is attached to some object, this would still keep our battlegrounds nice and tidy.

Just my 04AM .2 euros

it should be agrapple that has unlimited length, but once you latch onto something the length of the rope/beam is set until you launch a new grapple.

I imagine hooks much like what was stated before, but only as a transparent weapon: e.g.: use an accelerator key to bring up the grappling hook, and the left click to fire it. Your weapon would stay up, and you merely let go of the accelerator key and your left click would return to normal. Pressing the jump key would release the hook and send you off in whatever direction. The line should wrap around other objects (like the animated gif above) for maximum speed.

I think this would solve many things that deterred new players from Tribes in the earlier iterations: it would provide a way for new players to get up to high places (bases!) if they just happened to get stuck at the bottom of a hill, or in the bottom of an elevator shaft as a heavy. Further, base designs could become much more impressive, with multiple possible grappling capture routes criss-crossing the flags. Jets were a great concept for Tribes, but I think this will finally give players the level of control that many have desired since they started playing the game.

Summary:

Use an accelerator key to make the fire key shoot the grappling hook instead of having to switch to it as a pack or gun. Jump key should release it. Control should be as transparent as possible, and I assure you, weapon switching is as opaque as it gets.

PS: I think that when the accelerator key is pressed, a new reticle should be overlayed on top of the current. When said reticle is pointed at a grapplable object, it will pulse green, yellow, or red (color depends on distance). Only static objects (trees, rocks, buildings) should be grapplable. Trying to grapple to a player or vehicle would merely result in the object's shield graphic playing, and your grappling hook returning to you.

To dehook from a surface, all that is needed is a tap of the jump button. To dehook other players, shoot their hook and they'll plummet to the ground (just a thought. Iffy on this one).

Edit 2: Yet another thought.
After firing the grappling hook, holding the accelerator key + fire would slowly retract your hook.

Last edited:
Ixiterra said:
- How will players hitting (as in, walking into) it be handled? They can't just be able to walk through it, that's kind of weird. Are they gonna trip? ;)
No, because the line is made on nanofiliment fiber(or something) the player who gets in the way of a swinging grapple line gets sliced to ribbons like a warm cheese.

This is a pretty cool idea, but I'd like to see it in action in a MOD before it goes into the game. It sounds cool in theory, but we need to see it in action.

Perhaps someone here is capable of coding it into a tribes/tribes 2 mod for testing?

Grappling hooks are win. It kind of reminds me of what the booster beacon does in renegades. If there was a grappling hook there would be much more air-time/flight than skiing. Personally I like it that way, that's why I play ren... but yeah... just wanted to point that out

Neek said:
No, because the line is made on nanofiliment fiber(or something) the player who gets in the way of a swinging grapple line gets sliced to ribbons like a warm cheese.

Ah so you're saying it's a weapon of mass destruction? No, I don't think so. It can't just kill anyone that walks through it, imagine how that would be abused.

I think it would be cool as long as it cant propel you at all. If it was just to directionally change your heading it would be quite interesting. I bet the physics system for it is rather advanced though, you need to take a lot of different angular velocities in 3 dimensions. It would probably increase server load by quite a bit.

The grapple would fucking rock.

[Bionic Commando Style please.]

Also, please add in all the other proposed movement ideas for beta (dive pack, glide pack, boosts, air brakes). If they suck, just take them out.

Jetpacks and mad speed make "Tribes" Tribes. Let's explore all of those in intimate detail in TV.

My gut is that all the new movement ideas will be highly additive to the Tribes experience.

dea_2 said:
This would be interesting new feature. As said, when done right this could bring one more dimension to the tribes universe. I rather like the idea that the grapple does not retract or retracts slower (when connected to an object) than it can be applied. And if the line could collide to other objects you could get something like this:

Clearing HoF would also be kinda funny, just shoot the fella (if the shields are down that is) with the hook and diskjump away ;)

The line should/could also be able to break under fire and disking the hook attached to building should/could break the connection / destroy the hook.

You would only have limited number of hooks, so if you miss, tough luck. And when the line is released it retracts to the grapple that is attached to some object, this would still keep our battlegrounds nice and tidy.

Just my 04AM .2 euros
That would be so awesome, but would require very advanced calculations. I dont know if it would be possible. It would be kind of fun to drag some light across the battlefield (but of course it would hinder your movement severely), or grapple on to a Flying LD to send him flying in the other direction and you going back towards your flag. The possibilities are endless.

Void|deadjawa said:
This idea isnt even really a grappling hook...its more like tow rope. Think water skiier rather than quake 2.

fucking yes

Not the gay style that actually pulls you in "James Bond", but the style that only can change angular momentum "Bionic Commando"

When I envision this tool, I think of the scene on the first Batman movie where he shoots the hook to a light post and swings around the intersection faster than he could normally. THAT would be an awesome addition to the game. Not only would it make it funner, it would deepen the game considerably, as well as add new dimensions to learn/master. Im all for a tow rope/grappling hook in T3.

Back