[T2] Vengeance mod

Vicelord said:
is the grapple hook in the Vengeance mod close to the T:V one? I hope not cuz frankly the one in the vengeance mod is kinda sucky sorry to say it, nicely done but the handling is sucky, and doesn't feel like a grapple hook tbh
I'm working on a grappler that is similar to T:V's. I won't post any inbetween material this time, but I'll let you know when it's done.

Plasmatic's grappler is even more far away from T:V, and is apparently quite overpowered. The current one by Earthworm is overpowered too, doing quick turnarounds after a grab is quite a no-brainer.

Oh and ZOD, I can't seem to drop mines like I can other deployables. Look into that, will ya?

And another thing: you can't seem to control the buckler and the pod when looking at the sky. Meaning, they will only change directions if you look at an existing object. Makes throwing the buckler kinda worthless and prevents you from using the rocket pod against vehicles and airborn enemies.

Amadeu5 said:
And another thing: you can't seem to control the buckler and the pod when looking at the sky. Meaning, they will only change directions if you look at an existing object. Makes throwing the buckler kinda worthless and prevents you from using the rocket pod against vehicles and airborn enemies.

Dont see anything wrong with that.

Amadeu5 said:
I'm working on a grappler that is similar to T:V's. I won't post any inbetween material this time, but I'll let you know when it's done.

Plasmatic's grappler is even more far away from T:V, and is apparently quite overpowered. The current one by Earthworm is overpowered too, doing quick turnarounds after a grab is quite a no-brainer.

Oh and ZOD, I can't seem to drop mines like I can other deployables. Look into that, will ya?

I"m almost sorry I demo'd the 'launch' for you. You seemed convinced that the resulting speed was a function of the hook. It wasnt. Jets, hook for pivot and boost. Tarzan didnt have jets or boost. You cant remove those from the equation. There is only one element that isnt present in any of these hooks and that is line strength.

I'll tell you (assuming I dont break the line), if I cant hook and jet for effect in T:V, I will be VERY disappointed.

JimBodkins said:
I"m almost sorry I demo'd the 'launch' for you. You seemed convinced that the resulting speed was a function of the hook. It wasnt. Jets, hook for pivot and boost. Tarzan didnt have jets or boost. You cant remove those from the equation. There is only one element that isnt present in any of these hooks and that is line strength.

I'll tell you (assuming I dont break the line), if I cant hook and jet for effect in T:V, I will be VERY disappointed.
I base my statements 100% on personal experience, because I don't trust my eyes enough to decide whether or not something is bad just by watching it. The fact that with the current grappler I could grab a flag and turn back like if I hit the OOB grid tells me that there is something wrong with it.

Just so you know, Jim, I always test my grappler codes with no jetting/boosting involved first. If I can swing under a platform and get higher than I originally was, then I consider that wrong. This seems to be a standard function of the current grappler.

I understand. I test hooks that way as well. But in my experience, that behavior results in control issues more than anything. The current hook behaves in that way. And it is more of a control issue than one of increasing the energy of a 'launch'. The energy differenences between the current hook and a classic pendulum swing is small compared to the current swing and the energy of jets and boost.

As I mentioned, as I understand this, the principle difference between any of the hooks and the T:V hooks is line strength. Mod hook lines having infinite strength. Personally, I dont know if the hook in T:V is being babied in the videos to avoid breaking the line or if we are seeing max performance behavior. I suppose I wont know that until T:V is released. But I suspect I have yet to see anything too close to max performance as I have yet to see a line break. Any bets on how many minutes it will take for typical players to break lines after T:V is released? :) Competition players are going to take it to the wall right out of the box. Maybe that's what we are seeing in the videos. I dont know right now. I'll know in a few months.

But as long as we have infinite strength lines, I can jet like a fool while pivoting then boost and build some serious speed - that is the result of line strength+jets+boost. The small E added by the 'overswing' I dont believe is significant given it's small magnitude relative to the large E produced from Jets+Boost+Momentum.

Last edited:
You know, with the method I'm using right now, it would be blatantly easy to make the line break if there's too much pressure on it. :)

On the other hand, the line still doesn't break if it hits something. I don't know how hard it could be to code that in, but it is surely an advantage over the T:V hook.

I'm all in favor of the lines breaking. I'm just saying that some of the behavior we are seeing - if not most of the behavior - is probably the result of unbreakable lines.

Put it in. Find out how lines break in T:V and put it in.

I'm planning to, but I'd like to make it work right first. As for the lines breaking: either when they hit a solid object (the first meter from the grapple point is an exception from this) or when it's stretched too much... I don't have the experience at T2 scripting to replicate the first scenario, but I can add line pressure. We have no exact information regarding how much pressure should be on the rope to make it break though, and I doubt the effectiveness of the "big sad sorrowful eyes" trick on experimental to plunder him for inside info... :)

As an experiment - break the line if

1) Jets are used for more than one second (adjustable)
2) Boost is used at all
3) A vehicle uses its jets for more than a second (adjustable)

Someone - Colosus - is testing T:V right now. Let's just have him run a couple of 'tests' and report the results. Nothing too quantitative. Back of the envelope would be good enough.

Amadeu5 said:
Working on it.
Amadeu5 said:
Fixed.

Anything else? :p

Actually, I just noticed one more. Buy a mine and destroy it, buy another one. The game still tells you that you have 1 mine deployed.

JimBodkins said:
Uncontrolled pod rockets with no target to seek. Sound like fireworks to me. :) Skywriting?
Yeah, and if you make someone write their names backwards twice they die and you recieve a gazillion points. :D

Actually, making the rockets self-destruct after a given time seems reasonable to me...

Okay, the line breaks now. I'm not saying I got the details right, but the option is there, now it's just a matter of right calculation and configuration.

I would have to disagree that the grappler should break if a vehicle jets over one second or if you jet over one second thats just unrealistic.

Back