[T1 Information] Looking for some stuff...

Timalis_

Veteran X
Alrighty then, looking for some documentation on excatly how vol files are created with vt.exe, how pba's are compressed and gathered together and how bmp's are turned into pbmps. That and how vtxtract and vtmerge do their thing as well.

And no I don't mean by using pre-existing tools, I mean the source behind how they are made. Aka I want to code a program to do that kind of stuff but I have no clue how to do it.. and I dun think people would like my Batch File Creator. ;)

You can find out all that and more in my "Black Book of Tribes", now on sale for only... 2 million dollars, payable in monthly installments of $33k over 5 years :p

I suppose I could just include the location of vt.exe and vmerge.exe and other command line tools and just call them from withen the program to be used.. rather than having to find all the information I need to code it anew directly into the program ala LabRat's Tribes Tools

Har har.. but if he codes it how can I take the credit for coding a new application that would most assuredly make things easier?

Timalis_ said:
I suppose I could just include the location of vt.exe and vmerge.exe and other command line tools and just call them from withen the program to be used.. rather than having to find all the information I need to code it anew directly into the program ala LabRat's Tribes Tools
that's pretty much what i did for ease of use.

More like the drive to be able to say the code is yours.
That you put the ime and effort to figure it out and make your program do what you need and want it to do. :)

I meant hassle him for information on Palettes, PBA's, VOL's, PBMP's and Fonts. Not ask him to code you one (like me) :

Which language would you use to code it in?

Would code it in with VB... also maybe make a DLL so that you can us it in ohter projects to hand it, that way keep the exe itself independent from the actual compression and fixing of things...

Would you mind if I posted the file formats with C strucs and some simple pseudocode to read the files, or do you have a different preference for reading the layouts :p

I can read and understand C/c++ code, I just can't create original code withen c/c++ anymore lol. Been too long since I coded in either.. so that would be a no, have at it.
Oh, and thanks.

I remeber makeing Hello world in 10th grade, in a c++ class. I failed the class after failing the final which was a calculator :lol:
but im sure at this point i couldnt even make the hello world program

I spent about 3 months wondering why none of my programs would compile, before av0n told me I was using a beta compiler that didn't work..

I think my hefty-iest vb app hjas veen two to three megs or so.. was a rather robust IRC client that connected and protected MSN chats..

It's not the exe size that gets you.. it's the size of the runtime files you need.

Back