[T:V] Talk to me about the TR2-ish gametype

Lets make some predictions:
* Bunch of kids practicing it night and day to be good
* Massive backlash against any new players in it
* Elite players crying when someone misses a massive pass across the map
* Tons of assholes dominating the game

Wait, isn't that every Tribes game type?

well, on empirical issues i am a betting man...

i just do not see real follow-through demand on "sporsty" gametypes ... ANYWHERE (where's the flock of TR2 players? i think KP et al did a great job with it... and it isnt popular, sorry. where are the Bombing Run players? deathball? tron? etc).

i DO think something could gel, however, so i dont mean to say not to try.

but i think it really, really, REALLY has to be designed for pubbing.

i think it's insane to design anything for so-called competition...

no pro sports were DESIGNED or emerged as past-times BECUASE of the professional/commercial aspect of it. in other words, popular games dont emerge around the top-tier of gameplay... so dont design it that way... PLEASE. design with emergent skills in mind... with room for more, not forced on players.

if a gametype is rock solid fun... and "balanced"... teams emerge to play it competitively. masses have to enjoy the game in the first place...

CTF is a sport, in a profound sense, and a model for mainstream online gameplay. but you do NOT have to train as a friggin team to play it... or enjoy it.

i dont give a rat's ass about 1337 team gameplay if it isnt FUN in the first place. when i look at online FPS stats... i tend to see a similar spirit. when i look at all the big leagues, i see basically a MIRROR of the most popular online games... not some select pool of the ultra-1337 gametypes which ONLY the pros can play...

so, keep it simple and fun.

make passing piss-easy, if there's to be passing at all (i'd HIGHLY suggest studying the UT2k Deathball mod as well as BR, cuz you need an auto-passing system or else you are bullshitting yourself about the demand for this, imo).

but like i said... im a betting man.

ZenTse,

I think there is a significant portion of the gaming community (in both fps' and non-fps') that enjoys "sports-oriented" games.

TR2's failure had nothing to do with "war versus sports." I posted a detailed thread about why TR2 failed here which I think you will find helpful:

http://www.tribalwar.com/forums/showthread.php?t=202247&page=3&pp=20

In short, TR2's brief popularity has more to do with when it was released (T2 community was already shrinking - CTF had established dominance - competitive players were already committed to CTF teams and subjected to STRONG pressure to ONLY play CTF), the level of support it received after it was released (KP was sucked up by TV), and the manner in which competitive play was structured (league vs. ladder). Disagreements about the scoring system mattered only in TR2's final days.

Team Rabbit is insanely fun. For TRV to succeed, however, it must be well-marketed AT RELEASE (when the installed base of teams isn't such a formidable barrier) so that it can build its own unique sub-segment of the larger Tribing community. Also, the scoring system must reward a variety of play styles so that the skill curve is deep and gameplay is rich.

If marketed well to the gaming public (not just the existing community), TRV could provide substantial differentiation and attract lots of NEW players to Tribes.

Invic,

While I agree map design matters, ultimately people will do what's rewarded. If passing isn't rewarded, it won't be a focus and that portion of the game (the RICHEST portion imo) will go undeveloped.

For me, passing is what makes TR insanely fun. I honestly don't care much about scoring goals - they never seemed THAT skillful to me. High point passing was a completely different story, however. Nothing thrilled me like catching/making 60+ point passes. The thing is, there was NO incentive to go for passes of that difficulty level in a competitive game. They were too risky.

Consider your own experience in Reborn: you had some of the best passing talent in TR2 on your team but you guys backed off hard passes. Why? Because you got NOTHING for them. While I know a ton of other issues were weighing on Reborn and every other TR2 team around this time, I'm sure the lack of reward impacted the enthusiasm level of some of your key players.

As you acknowledge, the following is an old argument. Goal stacking never bothered me because you could EASILY beat it by taking advantage of creativity. Sadly, people didn't figure this out for far too long because they didn't understand how creativity worked. Goal stacking would be considerably less viable than it was if teams could earn "skill points" for repetitive high point passes in addition to "creativity points."

While I think the goal box should be coded such that defenders are "bounced" off the goal if too many got in the crease for pub play, I would prefer that this feature be turned off in competitive play. This would force teams to be able to both pass and shoot.

flat... i dont really want to tear into TR2 itself. to me, while i can certainly state a set of my own 'problems' with it... i think it's besides the point.

i believe... even if tr2 was "perfect" and pub-friendly, it STILL wasnt going to be popular.

i think the hype about competitive community dying for some smaller sportsy gametypes is just that. hype.

id LIKE to see it done well... and for Team Rabbit specifically, ive already said i think it would require newbie-friendly passing techniques like the UT2k BombingRun and Deathball gametypes (which ALSO are NOT popular in spite of being - imho - a hell of a lot more fun than team rabbit ever was).

what makes tribes fun?

how much of that fun factor was actually part of the original design?

(only parts)

so, my point is they need to focus on the simple concept... keep it fun for us idiots on pubs... and then let it EVOLVE itself as people play it... and emergent themes and skills arise.

you cant design a sport around the 1337 slam dunks.

Last edited:
This is a good discussion, but I think I'll try to generalize it away from TR2 a bit.

There's a huge video game market for sports. Unfortunately, that market (so far) seems to be completely dependent on real sports. You don't hear about massive sales of Deathrow (a critically acclaimed futuristic Xbox sport), huge numbers of people playing Bombing Run (despite a reasonably strong marketing push), or least of all swarms of people rushing to play a fairly silly but demanding game about throwing a flag around.

What you hear about is massive sales of Madden 2046, huge numbers of people playing Tony Hawk, and swarms of people rushing to pickup the latest version of Backyard Baseball for that arcade-y yet familiar sports feel. I sort of agree with TseTse on this. The mass market doesn't seem ready yet for virtual sports that are detached from real sports.

That doesn't mean that nobody should try to create a great new virtual sport. I see a niche market for it now, and that direction certainly interests me. But currently I sense that a virtual sport fails to attract the average "real" sports fan and also fails to attract the average action gamer. I could be wrong though. CTF could probably be considered a virtual sport (do more people play CTF in their backyards or online these days?) and it's quite successful in several games.

As for game types in general, I've thought a lot about them. I'm curious to hear your opinions. Do you think it's better to release a game that focuses on a single game type where you can make sure it's as polished and complete as possible (somewhat like BF1942), or is it better to offer many different choices of game types so that the community can naturally gravitate towards one or another (the T1 and T2 approach)? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two approaches? Which approach will sell more copies and attract a larger, longer-lasting community?

What's the best way to introduce a new game type to the masses? Do you build an entire game around it but risk overall product failure? Or do you include it alongside game types that are known to be popular but risk failing to kickstart the new game type?

These are tough questions. Game types are weird that way. It's something about their "newness" or lack thereoff. Does an average person run out and buy a game because a friend told them about a new gametype that was released for it? Not really, I don't think. It's almost like a new game type is good at diverting existing attention (which keeps people playing the game for longer) but not so good at attracting new attention (which leads to more people playing the game in the first place).

This is all up for discussion. I haven't formed strong opinions yet one way or the other,
KP

KineticPoet said:
This is a good discussion, but I think I'll try to generalize it away from TR2 a bit.

There's a huge video game market for sports. Unfortunately, that market (so far) seems to be completely dependent on real sports. You don't hear about massive sales of Deathrow (a critically acclaimed futuristic Xbox sport), huge numbers of people playing Bombing Run (despite a reasonably strong marketing push), or least of all swarms of people rushing to play a fairly silly but demanding game about throwing a flag around.
You are totally right. There is really no market for non-real-life-sporting games. The reason for this is twofold, I believe. First of all, people use video games as an escape. The best way to do this is to have a "real life" game like BF1942 or Counterstrike or what have you. All of these games lack a real "game balance", but it doesnt matter when it comes to player count. All that matters is that you are providing the user with a "realistic" escape. The second reason is that sports mods are extremely difficult to balance. The fundamental backbone behind these sports games is that they are balanced and completely reliant on skill. Mods such as bombing run have failed because they arent balanced. The best tactics in games like that is more often than not some type of cheese tactic (thats why people turn to real sports games...games like football have stood the test of time plus they dont have the "nerd" factor).

That doesn't mean that nobody should try to create a great new virtual sport. I see a niche market for it now, and that direction certainly interests me. But currently I sense that a virtual sport fails to attract the average "real" sports fan and also fails to attract the average action gamer. I could be wrong though. CTF could probably be considered a virtual sport (do more people play CTF in their backyards or online these days?) and it's quite successful in several games.
The problem here is innovating enough to grab people's interests. Give me a reason to play these sports-type mods and I will. Up until now, none have baited me enough to get me motivated to play that mod. For example, bombing run is essentially the same as death match for the most part, so I really have no reason to play it.
As for game types in general, I've thought a lot about them. I'm curious to hear your opinions. Do you think it's better to release a game that focuses on a single game type where you can make sure it's as polished and complete as possible (somewhat like BF1942), or is it better to offer many different choices of game types so that the community can naturally gravitate towards one or another (the T1 and T2 approach)? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two approaches? Which approach will sell more copies and attract a larger, longer-lasting community?
This is completely up in the air. If you design multiple mods for a game which makes the other mods weaker, then youre going to make the product weaker as a whole. But if you can design multiple gameplay which are all good, balanced, innovative, and fun youll attract many more people. Its a question of quality over quantity; if you can make a lot of good gametypes in your alloted time, do so. If you cant, and you need to cut corners on everything to get something to work then drop it.

What's the best way to introduce a new game type to the masses? Do you build an entire game around it but risk overall product failure? Or do you include it alongside game types that are known to be popular but risk failing to kickstart the new game type?
Make sure its good, and people will play it. In the end, thats really all that matters. If it sucks or is mediocre, no one will play it...it doesnt matter how its introduced. People tend to gravitate towards fun.

These are tough questions. Game types are weird that way. It's something about their "newness" or lack thereoff. Does an average person run out and buy a game because a friend told them about a new gametype that was released for it? Not really, I don't think. It's almost like a new game type is good at diverting existing attention (which keeps people playing the game for longer) but not so good at attracting new attention (which leads to more people playing the game in the first place).

This is all up for discussion. I haven't formed strong opinions yet one way or the other,
KP

My main piece of advice here is that if its not new, innovative, and as good as you can make it, just forget it. Pretty much everyone tries different gameplay types, and if they are new and different they will stick to them. If they are trivial and unbalanced, everyone will basically just forget they exist. Gamers are smart nowadays-if we see something thats been done before or that is just not "cool" we'll forget about it. By now, pretty much all of us have played dozens of different FPS's and we understand all of the different major gametypes. You have to keep that in mind when designing a gametype.

Last edited:
I feel the best solution is to focus all of the developmental energy on CTF and then allow the community to use Mutators and Mods to fulfill the individual gametype needs.

Guess I am in the minority then :shrug:

The only game type I am interested in, in this installment of Tribes is TRV...

Of course I will buy T:V the day it comes out, with or without TRV included, so Sierra is in a 'win-win' situation as far as it concerns me. But, CTF would have to be fantastically, over-the-top, never approached before, fun to hold my interest for long at all. Maybe Im just sick of CTF :|

I always thought of CTF as 'war', and TR as being the 'sport' side of Tribes.

I like sports.

What about trying to combine some of the gametypes?

2 teams again with a main base and a small base off to the side, at some position that gives an advantage to the team being able to use it (ala snowblind), and a few pulse sensors placed in the middle (like spincycle in T1), with each team having their own flag.

C&H for the pulse sensors, which give you the advantage of being able to see enemies much easier. (whether the pulses should be destroyable or not i dont know)

D&D for the little bases that help the team, possibly make them very hard to destroy but once they are gone you cant repair them. the problem with this could be that teams just use the main base as there is no point makeing runs etc if you are almost never going to be able to use the base. so poisitioning for them would be important.

CTF base rape as normal.

now for the scoring:

in normal ctf no one really passes unless truely nessesary as there is no reward for it, in T2 they have points for grabbing the flag, which i think could be swapped with passing points for each team. say a flag cap is worth 100 points, then make it possible for a team to get 50 or 75 points from passing the flag before they cap it. this number must be limited or else you could get teams just passing and essentially capping out the map without scoring. once the flag is returned whatever passing points a team had are returned to 0. make destroying the little bases (a one off score) worth perhaps half to one cap. and make it so that if all the sensors are held they add up to one cap.

i know this doesnt really follow the KISS method and i dont really like the T2 scoring system i prefer the simplicity of T1, however i think this gametype would require it.

best i could come up with...flame away

KP's comments are right on. imma chew on them and give my thoughts later.

i definately find it to be critical to put my own feelings on the subject in the "online fps" category, as he's pointed out that the EA Sports video game series basically off the charts in popularity.

so, the question is 'what does that mean?' for the possibility of online fps.

coffee/mapping time :D

[ok, i want some kind of llama award for using 1000s of words)

let me first say that i STRONGLY disagree with the comments above suggesting that having lots of variation in TV gameplay "weakens" it. i think the real solution is definately to provide a range of choices... but to keep that core tribes movement & universe at the center.

simple things are the most fun, but the most dangerous for a developer because you are tossing out a sweet set of assets and physics, but then gameplay evolves beyond the immediate design. you cannot predict the BEST gameplay.

no way in friggin hell did ANY of the top online fps games/gametypes get completely envisioned in their eventual reality... up front by the developers.

when they made bf42, they only dreamed of the gameplay. mappers could try to channel the dynamics and set the banks of the stream... but once the gamers show up... **** blows up and takes on a life of its own.

with "sportsy" stuff, i think it's even much moreso a matter of these emergent skills and tactics.

problem is that this can be VERY unfriendly online, as only a small group of clanners might develop these high level tactics and basically RUIN the pubbing.

for tribes... that's akin to the debates around old school skiing. it evolved on its own... but it still has to be within reach and FUN for the newbies. tribes2, imho, successfully opened that up to make tribes movement more accessible and more popular. anybody saying it should be "harder" to ski shouldnt be in game development...

basketball isnt fun cuz it's hard. if that was the driving force behind human sport, we'd see more 1-legged special olympics. last time i checked, the special olympics didnt get prime time television coverage. LOOK AT ME, I CAN RUN AND ITS REALLY HARD TO DO IN CRUTCHES - HOW 1337 OF ME!!!"

however, we watch the top tier players PLAY the sport cuz their exceptional abilities ABOVE the base-line required to enjoy the game. plus... we watch cuz of the STYLE involved, the nuances... and most importantly... cuz the teams represent something we can identify with: cities, nations, hot chicks, etc.

i think we have to be careful with the sports analogy. EA Sports can bank on existing sports, existing teams and offer a living-room based experience. the rules are pre-set. the interest is already there. all they do is provide a simulation and a vicarious experience that improves every year.

online fps is a whole different reality... as it stands now. we're a rather strange niche community that is spoiled beyond belief and with expectations and social infrastructures that are treacherous for developers.

ok, that was just my preface :D

KineticPoet said:

What you hear about is massive sales of Madden 2046, huge numbers of people playing Tony Hawk, and swarms of people rushing to pickup the latest version of Backyard Baseball for that arcade-y yet familiar sports feel. I sort of agree with TseTse on this. The mass market doesn't seem ready yet for virtual sports that are detached from real sports.

not yet. i think it's possible... and what we're all dreaming of is... HOW?

here's my Sociology of Human Sports 101 attempt... i.e. what i think are the core features of human sports evolution.

they are not inherently spectator activities, although they are SOCIAL rituals and thus play well into spectator media whether a "gladiator" personality driven situation or "Us vs You" situations.

they are all based on very, very simple human pet tricks. the rules evolve over time, across different areas... to reflect fairness and also spectator demands (especially the sports which have evolved in our commercial era).

but for sports to really take off in popularity, the "standards" arent the core issue. certainly for two peopel from different nations to play chess, soccer or whatever... they have to have shared rules and understanding of the game. but the sports... the big time world cup stuff... revolve around IDENTITY.

why do humans CARE about sports? well, women & figure skating aside... it's really a matter of us identifying with what's happening... and getting a raw sense of blood-sport in the matter.

media-driven 'pro' sports are about either big personalities and/or teams we identify with. we either love them or love to hate them. THAT'S why we care.

it's real cities, real colleges, real nations... real personalities we either want to have sex with or beat the living **** out of. it's deeply human.

ive yet to see an FPS or league really focus on collegiate teams or national sponsorship... although in the past year it seems the huge leagues are turning to go right down that well developed path.

FPS "sports" cant take off with just "skills" and gameplay alone.

there are tons and tons of sports and fun games which will NEVER grow into full, popular international media-driven sports.

i think the existing social infrastructures around online FPS are not designed in ways that anybody gives a heck about. clans are mostly friends. some are collegiate. some are city-based.

but until there are infrastructures that mirror how folks actually identify themselves... dont expect folks to flock to watch your matches... no matter HOW cool the gameplay is.

Counter Strike. BF42. UT2k Deathball. TR2. Quake4 CTF. I'm saying it doesnt MATTER which game/gametype it is... not as much as WHO is playing and why.

"Boston College vs UCLA" is gonna infinately garner more interest than "Clan XYZ vs Clan ZYX"... no matter what video game they play.

Developing the gameplay with that in mind? I think that means to leave some room for the kids on the field to negotiate "their rules" a little bit before the match. I think that also means trying to keep the core skills (walking, passing, etc) VERY simple and easy to understand. I think that means that then the real skill and competition evolves around the emergent techniques and STYLE that folks bring to the game.

Style & a sense of personality is gonna be at the center of the video games of the future... that do finally break into the mainstream spectator realm.

KineticPoet said:
Do you think it's better to release a game that focuses on a single game type where you can make sure it's as polished and complete as possible (somewhat like BF1942), or is it better to offer many different choices of game types so that the community can naturally gravitate towards one or another (the T1 and T2 approach)? What are the advantages and disadvantages of these two approaches? Which approach will sell more copies and attract a larger, longer-lasting community?

It's a matter of representation. Even above, somebody said that Bombing Run is just like Deathmatch (which is nearly impossible for me to comprehend)... so it comes down to perceptions.

Without a doubt, user-made material (mods, maps) is the driving force of online FPS. Let's just start there. SURE, over half the people playing FPS online in the past 3 years are basicalyl pplaying the same 3 CS maps... but... that was a free choice for a large portion of those people. It was a mod... and thus an "accidental" success, i might add.

I think it's important for a game to really, really represent something clearly in peoples' minds. Tribes represents a whole range of things to a whole range of people. As one of the oldest and most profound FPS series to date... it amazes me how much variation and actual disagrement there is about "what tribes is." It isnt merely a simple "t1 vs t2" thing, either. Personally, I think tribes is about that freedom of movement we all know and love. It's also about larger scale tactical stuff. I originally came from very competitive UT scene, so i think those claming tribes to represent "hard core fast gameplay" are totally nuts cuz that aint the niche in the eyes of 99/100 gamers - but i respect that desire and view of tribes for the future.

So, even with a game like BF42... i have to point out that mods like Desert Combat were a LARGE reason for its popularity online... not merely due to its solid, polished, focused gameplay. I'm sure im not alone in saying that BF42 was one of the VERY few games i actually bought last year... and largely due to the buzz around DC and other mods... not merely cuz of the base gameplay.

Folks flock to games online when they think it's "the place to be" not just at the moment but for the coming few months at least. It's where their friends are going... it's where folks are playing... it's maybe a place they can play as a team with their buddies, etc...

Having a polished focus helps garner the initial wave of players and interest, DEFINATELY.

I wouldnt recommend doing what Digital Extremes & Epic did with UT2k3: having a half dozen gametypes + a dozen mutators. The gametype selection rocked, but i think the mutators really watered down gameplay (especially instagib). Those options would have been great as a free expansion pack 3 months after initial release.

You need to build up that buzz and the shared sense of the game up front... but you need those options (or at least a sense of the game being "a place to be") to keep the game going - which usually means mods, maps and add-ons.

Likewise, catering to the "pro" community isnt a bad idea... as long as it is REALLY clear to them that they arent making a new game for themselves, but are merely those kids on the playing field trying to decide what are fair rules for the match about to be played. If they really, really want something specific to themselves, let them make it... it might work out brilliantly (i.e. base++ into Classic, etc). Trying to force that can easily backfire, in spite of the bitching up-frnt that you didnt cater to them. It's much better to get the core game out, SOLID with a range of gameplay, without dividing the community into snotty cliques based on self-perceived "skill."

Last i checked - most big time sponsored competitive $$$/leagues were playing CS, UT and other games these same snotty cliques call games for "n00bs."

KineticPoet said:

if something isnt familiar... it wont be fun.

novelty is great... but it's very risky. i think folks dramatically overstate the role and requirement for innovation and novelty.

folks DO want something "new" of course... but that newness better have familiar elements. guns are helpful :D

i thikn it's really important to note how the most popular online fps gametypes still revolve around nuanced variations of 2-3 basic human themes.

- us vs them
- capture objective
- capture flag/object

the more complicated it gets beyond that theme, you better build up the players' understanding.

RTCW ET is perhaps the most striking anomaly, as it has a rather steep learning curve for those not already familiar with RTCW or similar games. gratned, the guns and classes arent that complicated... but mixed together with robust co-op style missions... im still impressed at how popular its been (being free kinda helps too).

i dont think a new title and a new commercial product with ET's design would have done very well...

KineticPoet said:

personally, im still in awe at how poorly Bombing Run did (ut2k3). i think it's without a doubt the most fun "sportsy" gametype in FPS ive seen to date. deathball was an even more simplified "football" variation on that theme, and while popular at first... just couldnt sustain themselves. in fact, all these sportsy gametypes start off REALLY popular and exciting, but basically flop as gametypes. imo, it's because they fail to sustain themselves on pubs.

without a critical pubbing mass, no matter how fun it is... and no matter how many competitive clans you have... it will fail. if folks cant play it "just for fun" from 8pm-midnight without clan BS, then it's doomed. Tribes2 siege gametype was, imo, ruined by the competitive community in that way. it went from being ultra hip and active pubber gametype... to being bogged by clan politics and stupid crap which undermined the pubbing culture. within months, the dozen or so active pubs vanished... only 1-2 pubs stood strong... and they almost were 24/7 spoiled by silly clan politics and crap which turned most people off.

sports gametypes really harness the same exact negative feedback loop by being so well suited for the clan self-interest dynamics.

whereas... in the games & gametypes that succeed over time - the clans support the pubs without that 1337 nonsense.

so, without the critical mass to allow for a long-term pubbing community - gametypes will naturall implode in a furry of "omfg you stole our techniques" and "ok, no more pubbing, let's just practice privately". that's a death sentence to a game if that's a large % of the players...

so, be careful pushing folks into competitive gameplay... instead of pubbing competitively.

and in my opinion, some of the very, very, very best gameplay ive ever seen was ON clan-run pubs. that's what you really want to support... the eternal, 1337 pickups.

god, ive babbled way too much...

EDIT:

i know for some folks, it's just nearly impossible to "approve" the comment that pubbing gameplay can be excellent.

however, i'd note that top tribes clans STARTED on pubs. ALL gaming started on pubs.

my old UT clan... revolved around 1 pub. it became an umbrella clan to well over a dozen sub-groups... and when ut2k3 came out, it spawned the #1 CTF team which simply couldnt be touched.

my point isnt that they cuold have been #1 without private practice. my point is that they LOVED the game and were part of a pubbing culture... which was VERY competitive... for years.

we all know of such pubs... across many games. that's what drives online gaming...

if you want a game/gametype to survive... support this idea... of very highly competitive pubbing.

when i first boot up a new MP game... first thign i do is try to find a 'favorite' or two. usually they end up being servers run by skilled clans... but clans focused on just having a blast at night, and clans that respect a sane, respectful server (i.e. no hate talk, no cheating, no imbalanced teams, etc).

support the competitive pubs... and you support the game... AND give a strong base for more organized matches to grow out of.

Last edited:
haven't read much of this thread

but the main problem I see with Team Rabbit is that it is not pub friendly at all.

In a pub in CTF a guy can feel useful by setting up turrets or getting in heavy armor and blowing shit up, even though he's not capping.

In Team Rabbit there are a ton of "rules" that are there established by the players. So when that guy is wandering off into no where and doesn't know what to do, he'll get pissed and quit the server. When he fails an easy pass and everyone shouts at him, he'll quit the server and probably never look back.

I think KP should concentrate on guaranteed successful gametypes.

1. CTF
2. Arena
3. Duel
4. Deathmatch
5. An objective based gametype
6. Rabbit

Keep the number of gametypes small and distinct. T2 was filled with a lot of DM clones that could have just been mutators for deathmatch. CTF and Arena supported competition. Duel supported many many pubs. A *good* DM gametype (neither T1 or T2 had a good DM gametype) would also support pubs for a lot of new players. Objective based gametypes (I always wanted a lattice style capturing gametype, like the one Thrax showed) have always supported a lot of players in the past. The problem is that we've had too many of them. Just one will do (plus, objective based gametypes can be made vehicle oriented, giving you a gametype in which vehicles are extremely important). Also, objective oriented gametypes already have a large fan base. Lastly, Rabbit with a bunch of mutators is a great gametype, and is a Tribes favorite.

And while I love TR1 and TR2, I really don't think sportsy gametypes will ever become as popular as the six types I've described above. I'm being frank here. I *love* Team Rabbit gametypes, but I feel they will never take off like other FPS gametypes will. The reason is because sportsy gametypes almost always go against what people want to do when playing FPS games: kill people.

Zoolooman said:
The reason is because sportsy gametypes almost always go against what people want to do when playing FPS games: kill people.

a good point. we might TALK about how we really, really want more "tactics" and skill-based gameplay... more "smart" team stuff... but really, let's get real. we want to mindlessly frag and be cowboys as well ("we" meaning gamers in general).

"omg it is too hard to organize a team of 7+ people" is a complaint we hear when folks talk about tribes2 ctf... yet ironically you see BIG leagues filled with clans for large matches (the complain doesnt add up when compared to the reality that more and more online gaming looks EXACTLY like what some here complained about with t2).

my point is... if you cant EASILY organize or find... what you are looking for online, you move along.

a lot of this comes down to serendipity and arbitrary timing. but yea... folks want to frag.

on the other hand, i do NOT think they want do die every 10 seconds via splash damage... like the old school ut/q3a/t1 games rely on. that uber-fast death/respawning stuff is kinda passe for gamers i think - just like DM.

i think there's room for more attempts at sportsy-gameplay. i just think devs need to be careful BANKING on some desire for small, "hard core competitive" sportsish teamplay.

as ive said before, i see a lot of the same whiners who said tribes2 was "too slow, too big, too blah blah blah" running off to play BF42, RTCW, etc.

Last edited:
Back