[T:V]So when will the n00bs come? Seems like no one cares about T:V.

taoofjord

Veteran X
I've been trying to hype this game up with friends and on message boards. Mostly on the IGN boards, but it just doesn't seem like people care. I'm not sure why. I guess some of it has to do with the fact that many people didn't like T1 and T2. Then theres the fact that there are already a ton of high profile FPS out and coming out this year that T:V has a LOT to prove.

I'm worried that all the effort IG is making will go over people's heads. I assume that the open beta will draw more people in, but still, I'm not feeling too optimistic that this game will be a huge hit. What about you guys? Have you talked to any people that are new to the series yet interested in this game? Have you been trying to hype it up?

I can give you this much as an example in regards to pulling people in. Open betas are the best advertisement tool for a new game today. For example, Lineage 2 had an incredibily small following. Once it hit OB they got swamped with thousands upon thousands of people. It wasn't even a well advertised OB either.

A well advertised OB on a game with great graphics is more than enough to pull in a ton of people. You'll also get alot of people if the single player part of the game gets good reviews in the cookie cutter magazines and online review websites. Hype before the game comes out in OB form or release is nice, but it's not the end all for a successful game.

The best way to get people to play is by word of mouth. Once it's out and rockin.. the more that play and find out what TV is all about, the more they tell their friends.. As long as they can actually install it, and play it (Provided it's lots of fun, which it very much looks to be) T:V will steadily bring in the people on it's own.

ZProtoss said:
I can give you this much as an example in regards to pulling people in. Open betas are the best advertisement tool for a new game today. For example, Lineage 2 had an incredibily small following. Once it hit OB they got swamped with thousands upon thousands of people. It wasn't even a well advertised OB either.

A well advertised OB on a game with great graphics is more than enough to pull in a ton of people. You'll also get alot of people if the single player part of the game gets good reviews in the cookie cutter magazines and online review websites. Hype before the game comes out in OB form or release is nice, but it's not the end all for a successful game.

I hope so, but then it could also mean a complete disaster (think Joint Operations and Soldner) if the game isn't ready for open beta. Especially if people are on the fence. It's one thing to learn the way Tribes works. It's another to do so when you are fighting with bugs, glitches, and crashes.

I'll be crossing my fingers that all goes well, I'd really hate to see Irrational and Tribes fade into oblivion.

(Poor, poor, looking glass studios...)

Well, it's up to the judgement of Irrational and whatever fortunate closed testers there are before OB to make sure the game doesen't suck by the time it comes around. Which I'm sure many people in Irrational understand very well as they aren't ignorant of the current gaming enviroment. If an OB is done right, it's the best marketing tool you have now. If you can give someone a good enough taste of the game, they'll want to come back for more.

taoofjord said:
I hope so, but then it could also mean a complete disaster (think Joint Operations and Soldner) if the game isn't ready for open beta. Especially if people are on the fence. It's one thing to learn the way Tribes works. It's another to do so when you are fighting with bugs, glitches, and crashes.

I'll be crossing my fingers that all goes well, I'd really hate to see Irrational and Tribes fade into oblivion.

(Poor, poor, looking glass studios...)

ZProtoss said:
Well, it's up to the judgement of Irrational and whatever fortunate closed testers there are before OB to make sure the game doesen't suck by the time it comes around. Which I'm sure many people in Irrational understand very well as they aren't ignorant of the current gaming enviroment. If an OB is done right, it's the best marketing tool you have now. If you can give someone a good enough taste of the game, they'll want to come back for more.

Did you by chance try the Guild Wars E3 open alpha? It was a lot of fun, and greatly expanded the community. Not to mention, the game freaking rocks and everyone is going through withdrawl right now. :)

I don't see how Tribes will ever become a mainstream game like CS/UT/Quake. I was playing on a newbie server today with some people that just downloaded the game. I was trying to explain to them how to play the game, and they were all like :ftard:

ZProtoss said:

This right here, is a true statement. IF Irrational make a solid OB Demo of the SP and a 1 - 2 map MP to run decently on most systems, people love a free game. They will play and if it's solid and fun and they get a good taste, odds are good they'll buy the game. A good OB with a little hype on the full featured game will sell. Imo.

Open beta for lineage got a ton of traffic even before it hit the states. I was playing Jap open beta a month before it hit here and had a lot of fun playing a mmorpg that had issues but was completely playable and FREE. What was the unreal mod type that was like tribes they done recently xtml or something? It got a niche little following on it's open beta. I see bigger success for T:V if beta is done right. People will pick up the beta regardless just to play "What's new" to see wtf it's about.

Last edited:
i convinced a bunch of my friends to buy T2 on release day, they will never listen to me when I tell them a new tribes game is comming out, im like "it looks really cool" to which they respond "you said that about Tribes 2 also"

therfor I am no help

sLoGg said:
i convinced a bunch of my friends to buy T2 on release day, they will never listen to me when I tell them a new tribes game is comming out, im like "it looks really cool" to which they respond "you said that about Tribes 2 also"

therfor I am no help

Just slip them the news when OB comes out, you might be more likely to convince them then. Right now, it's intangible hype.

tribes isnt for everyone :(, you still got those chumps who only wanna play realism games or counter strike clones.

a good Multi OB with at least 4 maps and maybe 2 or 3 gametypes would rock. And if its stable and is fun, people from outside the community will play it, and maybe end up joining hte community

I just tell my friends that it's like Red Faction 2, but with jetpacks. They jumped into it. How they noticed any similarites I'll never know.

taoofjord said:
Did you by chance try the Guild Wars E3 open alpha? It was a lot of fun, and greatly expanded the community. Not to mention, the game freaking rocks and everyone is going through withdrawl right now. :)

That game rocked. :)

Only thing stopping my friends is the phrase mmorpg, even though it's far different from any I've played.

Nomble said:
I just tell my friends that it's like Red Faction 2, but with jetpacks. They jumped into it. How they noticed any similarites I'll never know.

Yeah it sucks you have to compare a Tribes game to some POS shooter to get people to be interested. I've said it before: Tribes is the gospel of gaming, everyone shuns it but its really what they need.

yeah. right now, we needent worry about how large the following will be, whatever the amount im sure it will be enough. who needs it to be as popular as HL? the t1 community still plays 5 years after the release - unless T:V sucks i think the same should happen. besides, we all know regardless of its following tribes will always be the best and most inivated FPS series. i mean, i do hope we get a big following this time around, but we dont really need to worry i'd say

I tried showing people both t1 and t2. once they saw that it was a totally open field with jetting around and shit they said fuck that i'm not wasting my time learning how to play something that complicated.

tribes is one of those games where either u get it right off the bat or you don't. very VERY few people would take the time to learn the basics of the game, let alone become great at it.

There is one thing of note though when it comes to T:V. Somehow it has to break the "unreal with jetpacks" impression. As a test the other day I linked several very average gamers fps wise (people I met in WoW), to T:V vids. Every single one said "yeah it looks just like unreal". Hopefully an OB can break that impression. Somewhat scary though.

T:V only has the coarsest resemblence to Unreal... which is due to the similar graphics engines. Gameplay, weapon styles, almost EVERYTHING else is different.

People should know not to judge a book by it's cover, and judging TV on it's superfical resemblence to Unreal is a serious mistake IMO.

Back